The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

How do you know a good niche when you see one?

jomeg9498

affiliate
How do you know what niche is right for you? I don't have a lot of interests and what I may be interested in I feel like people would not search on. For example, I do a lot of research on affiliate marketing and like reading about the successes and the businesses that are successful in that market, but I also like to do crafts, and I love animals and I love to sing and watch TV. But based on that, I have no other interests.

Or should I pick a niche that I don't know much about and promote it, like something dealing with health, cars, insurance, something like that? I would love to hear your ideas. Thanks.

How do you know what niche is right for you? I don't have a lot of interests and what I may be interested in I feel like people would not search on.

To pick the right niche requires, picking some possible options and then doing keyword research to find out which one has the most potential interest and the least competition. So you aren't totally guessing you are going by the numbers. Then you also have to determine if it's a niche that can be monetized.

For example, I do a lot of research on affiliate marketing and like reading about the successes and the businesses that are successful in that market, but I also like to do crafts, and I love animals and I love to sing and watch TV. But based on that, I have no other interests.

Or should I pick a niche that I don't know much about and promote it, like something dealing with health, cars, insurance, something like that? I would love to hear your ideas. Thanks.

1st take a personal inventory. The things you mention liking above are a start. Crafts and animals are 2 that could turn into potential niches, but you'd want to drill down to find a sub niche within those broader niches that isn't too competitive. (The 2nd link below will teach you how) DON'T pick affiliate marketing or making money online as your 1st niche. It's the worst place to start!

Don't pick a niche like insurance just for the money if you don't know about it and aren't interested in it. It will be unpleasant work and you are likely to want to give up before you start making any money.

Read these 2 threads and follow through with the examples in both.

http://affiliate-marketing-forums.5...g/5558-how-pick-your-1st-niche.html#post15325

How to do Niche Keyword Research

I can tell you what I did. I went to Amazon and started browsing stuff by categories until I found some stuff that interested me. Not specific items, necessarily, but groups of things. I found a few that I liked and did some research to see if they (and the related terms) were searched for a lot. Once I found a bunch that I liked (I actually had a list of about 50 good keywords), I started browsing the competition. I chose 1 that was good without high page rank comp and built a blog around it. From there, it's all about monetizing it, either with ppc or affiliate links. There's a little more to it than that, but those are the basics. :)

I dont think what interests you matters when choosing an niche to promote.
What I look out for is my overall chances of being successful with it when compared to other niches and I automatically likes it when I've convinced myself that I can do it and it even gets better when the money first start to flow in in bits.

I think that may be true for the more experienced niche marketers, but for the beginners, I think it helps to start with a niche that holds their interest and find micro niches within that niche that can be profitable. That makes it that much easier for the beginner to find content for articles, etc. IMO

I think that may be true for the more experienced niche marketers, but for the beginners, I think it helps to start with a niche that holds their interest and find micro niches within that niche that can be profitable. That makes it that much easier for the beginner to find content for articles, etc. IMO

I have already been reading that beginners should start out with their interests, but did every beginner started out with a niche that they were interested in?

I have already been reading that beginners should start out with their interests, but did every beginner started out with a niche that they were interested in?

Hmmm. Well for me, I just went to Amazon and started browsing the catalog. I saw something that made me say "that's kinda cool" and went looking for profitable keywords relating to it. So I didn't really know that I was interested in that niche until I saw it, but I did look around until I saw something that sparked my interest.

Here's the way I see it: If I just go after a niche that looks profitable, but holds no interest for me, I might have a tough time sticking to the research, writing the articles, etc. Personally, I would hire someone in that case for content creation, but we are talking about people getting started. I always recommend that people new to this game start off by writing their own content. I would have had a hard time with that if I chose to go after the pink parasol niche. Hmmmm, I wonder how many people search for pink parasols every month...

< /$0.02 >

I struggled with this as well! For your first time, I would choose something that interests you and determine if it can be profitable. Larger interests (like I had) probably won't work.

What I di was I went to WordTracker GTrends and just types in my main interests. I then found 3 words keywords I liked and clicking on the graph button. When I found one that fit the parameters I went and researched it elsewhere, verified that affiliate merchants existed, and went on my way.

Good luck!

MI
Back