The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

help understanding weird google search results?

dorian2786

affiliate
Ok so I'm trying to understand how google pulls up results in order to see exactly how pages are ranked highly for.

So I did a search for the keyword "how to train your dog to stop barking". I have included the search result links bellow.

The first thing did was search the term without quotes. You will see that the number one position for that search is a website by the name of:

www [dot] placervillevet [dot] com

Click here to see results for keyword search without quotes:
how to train your dog to stop barking - Google Search

This page on their site has the exact search term in their title and body of article. So I think to myself, ok, no wonder why they are ranking highly. They have the exact search term rank, the keyword exact phrase match competition is only 611 and they have a good PR website.

However, when I did the search again but this time with quotes I was not able to see that web page that originaly ranking as #1, anywhere on the first page nor on the other pages afterwards. It's either that I have no idea how results come up on Google or that this is just weird behavior?

Click here to see the search done with quotes:
"how to train your dog to stop barking" - Google Search

Also, I see that the reverse sometimes happens to but not always. This is where the exact phrase competition for a keyword is quite low (under 1000) and the web pages that are pulled up on the 1st for the keyword searching with quotes, are not seen on any page when searching for the keyword without quotes.

I really don't know what is happening. This seems to be the opposite of what article marketing including Bum marketing have been talking about.

This sort of behavior doesn't always happen though. many search terms display proper results for both quote and non-quote search, but other times I just can't understand why an ezine article optimized for a specific keyword is unable to be seen on the first page of google if the exact competition is lower than 1000. At the very least it should appear on the second page but this is not always the case.

I look forward to your reply and clarifications.

Ill attempt to explain what I can see

Your first url with the non exact phrase search is a closest match with the keywords that you supplied to Google they may be in any order and anywhere on the page.(word proximity does count but that's a different question) the page does not contain the words "how" and "to" both I believe "stop words"

The second url with the exact phrase match "How to Train Your Dog to Stop Barking" the top page has the exact phrase X 2 at the top of the page making it relevant to that search. In this case Google looks at this phrase as it would one single word. if those words are on the page but not in the right order it will not be returned in the SERPS for this search

banners
Back