Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Google Confirms Mayday Update Impacts Long Tail Traffic

D

djbaxter

Google Confirms ?Mayday? Update Impacts Long Tail Traffic
by Vanessa Fox, SearchEngineLand Blog
May 27, 2010

Google made between 350 and 550 changes in its organic search algorithms in 2009. This is one of the reasons I recommend that site owners not get too fixated on specific ranking factors. If you tie construction of your site to any one perceived algorithm signal, you?re at the mercy of Google?s constant tweaks. These frequent changes are one reason Google itself downplays algorithm updates. Focus on what Google is trying to accomplish as it refines things (the most relevant, useful results possible for searchers) and you?ll generally avoid too much turbulence in your organic search traffic.

However, sometimes a Google algorithm change is substantial enough that even those who don?t spend a lot of time focusing on the algorithms notice it. That seems to be the case with what those discussing it at Webmaster World have named ?Mayday?. Last week at Google I/O, I was on a panel with Googler Matt Cutts who said, when asked during Q&A, ?this is an algorithmic change in Google, looking for higher quality sites to surface for long tail queries. It went through vigorous testing and isn?t going to be rolled back.?

I asked Google for more specifics and they told me that it was a rankings change, not a crawling or indexing change, which seems to imply that sites getting less traffic still have their pages indexed, but some of those pages are no longer ranking as highly as before. Based on Matt?s comment, this change impacts ?long tail? traffic, which generally is from longer queries that few people search for individually, but in aggregate can provide a large percentage of traffic.

Read more...

Video from Matt Cutts on this algorithm change as a permanent one:

<object width="480" height="288.75"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WJ6CtBmaIQM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WJ6CtBmaIQM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

MI
Back