The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Facebook trying to trademark the word "face"

Totally agree.

But just in case they win, I think I'll try to trademark "book" and "foot".

Some people (and companies) don't know what else to do to show off. Some of there actions are really stupid.

I really douby that Facebook with get to trademark "Face". What would all of the "Face" cream companies do, have to pay royalities. It's kinda of a shame that they have gotten that full of themselves.

I plan on having a Fan Page up & running by the end of the month. It will be covering the same topic my website does. I do feel that I will be able to get more traffic to my Fan Page and the way things on there work, I understand that it'll go viral pretty quick.

Companies get too big and think they rule the world,

In fact many so called business experts ruin business and drive them into the ground, reminds me of so called "bankers" who can't do their jobs -
oh we made ?2 billion this year - - - like thats difficult when er.. your a bank! losers

Ummm yeah... no.

I'm no lawyer, so this isn't the "letter of the law"...but if memory serves, the word "face" is too common to trademark. It's used in too many other types of situations.

Ummm.... "book" would follow that same line of thinking (except War and Peace, that's a tome :D ).

There is no chance that they can get Face. Wordpress should trademark the word "word" then :)

In a surprising (to say the least) development, it appears that Facebook has been successful:

Patent Office Agrees To Facebook’s “Face” Trademark
by Alexia Tsotsis, TechCrunch
November 24, 2010

Facebook is just a payment away from trademarking the word “Face.” As of today the U.S. Patent And Trademark Office has sent the social networking site a Notice of Allowance, which means they have agreed to grant the “Face” trademark to Facebook.

All Facebook needs to do is pay the issue fee within three months of today and the “Face” trademark will be issued and be published in the official USPTO gazette and everything.

Read more...

I think we can still use parts of the face, like cheek, nose, lips, eye... at least until Facebook also patents "book" and then we'll have to stop using terms like cheekbook and nosebook.

I think we can still use parts of the face, like cheek, nose, lips, eye... at least until Facebook also patents "book" and then we'll have to stop using terms like cheekbook and nosebook.

There has to be some limitations, because the word "face" is used in normal conversations, so I cannot see where Facebook could get a royalty for every instance of the word face in any context.

And here is a limitation, Facebook has more work to do...

Update: A commenter points out that aside from the issue fee, Facebook will have file a Statement of Use and use the trademark on its own in commerce before it has actual legal claim over the word “Face.” Right now it only uses the word “Face” in conjunction with “book,” but that will have to change if it wants to have any right to the trademark.

From the article you linked above.

MI
Back