The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Excitement - I now work only for myself

rjl

affiliate
I am excited so I wanted to share this.

For the past 16 years I have worked under contract for various small businesses with the majority in the Real Estate and Mortgage industry. In the past year I have been planning to get out and to just work for myself on my own ideas/projects, with taking on some clients on a freelance basis.

In my plan I set a goal to be able to be working only on my stuff by November of 2010. On April 1st I got news that my grandfather had a stroke, then 1 day later I was told he only had a few hours left. I spent a lot of time growing up with my grandfather and grandmother (she passed in 02), so this hit me harder then I ever could imagined. He was 85 and a highly decorated WW2 vet. So I had to fly back home over 2,000 miles and face the reality that I never wanted to face.

During my flight I decided while I am back that I will finalize and make it so by the time I got back to my current home I would be just working on my own projects and ideas.

So I stayed 4 days longer then my original fly back date and I was able to get everything worked out and almost perfectly. I was able to sell out on a "land contract" type of deal for my current business to another company. The almost perfect part was that I have to stay on "call" for the next 6 months to help with any issues or the process of utilizing the scripts that are setup that help automate some repetitive tasks. So not too bad at all IMO!

Now I am back to my current home. The past 2 days I have been slowly unpacking my bags, and doing ton's of research on some domains I have held for years, as well as a new big project based off of some ideas of other projects I read about while reading tons of old post's at this forum.

I am excited because now I can make myself more money with less stress. I know I will be putting in some hours because everything at first is about testing, but this will be fun because this is what I LOVE to do, I have fun doing this type of work and how I always have to learn something new (the internet dev and marketing industry is always changing).

Well that is it. I hope this makes sense. I just wanted to share something exciting to me, as most people I have known from my youth really don't get or even use computers / internet so they are happy, yet never get it. lol

:)

Hi rjl,

I can feel your excitement and am so happy for you. Glad our forum helped give you some ideas. Look forward to hearing about your progress! :)

I remember when I made the decision to become self-employed. There's definitely some anxiety about giving up the security of a pay cheque from someone else but I also think that sense of security for many people is illusory.

Now that you're your own boss, you just have to worry about not ticking yourself off and having to fire yourself. :D

Psssst .... your excitement is showing... :D

Sorry to hear about your grandfather, but congratulations on making that leap! Let us know if you need help.

Welcome on board! I bet you, if you work hard, you wouldn't be making a wrong decision. The road to success is tough and thorny but never give up. Remember you can always get advice and help from this forum.

Goodluck.

John

Thanks everyone !!

Linda I have been following you (not stalking) as I saw you posting online back in 2004, and you are the only person that I followed at that time who is still around.

I am excited to only work on my own things, not work for others making them more money they I was making. If it was not for non-competes I would of been doing more then buying domains and watching others make millions (or so they say, I see a lot of fakers on the net)

My big idea is to bring back companies that went out of business in the past 15 years because of big box stores like CompUSA , Circuit City. Now these big box stores only are online (CompUSA has a few re-opened locations). So I have been buying up dead trademarks/servicemarks of these old companies, and will be re-launching them as large affiliate sites using the API's that other places provide. Most of these sites will only be advertised in the local areas they were once operating in. I am not sure how good it will work, but I will be trying. I have a business plan setup, formed a new LLC for the first site, and have setup time-lines and goals to reach.

I will say it's nice to not have to wakeup at 530am PST to do conference calls to my east coast clients, or to wakeup with emails from multiple people from different departments all asking the same question that was answered in a email that they decided they did not need to read, because they are not IT. I am also glad to not be called the IT guy when in fact me and my team were contractors and had nothing to do with the computers / networking and everything else a IT department does.

Yeehaw !

Linda I have been following you (not stalking) as I saw you posting online back in 2004, and you are the only person that I followed at that time who is still around.

Wow, I feel stalked privileged. :p

No seriously I am touched that you've followed me all this time. It's people like you that drive me.
Always nice to know you are helping people and they appreciate it.

No seriously I am touched that you've followed me all this time. It's people like you that drive me.

...to keep moving from town to town.... :eek:

Three words, Linda: Witness Protection Program. :eek:

Disclaimer: Not associated with the Jehovah's Witness Protection Program.

Always nice to know you are helping people and they appreciate it.

Your welcome.

I first saw you post at {an SEO forum in 2004}.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations rjl, you're now self employed and you will never regret this. I'm also self employed and I earn my life income from my 3 websites, it is risky but I earn a lot (and much more than from my job) and actually I don't need to invest so much time so I can go to parties and I can wake up when I want. :)

banners
Back