The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Domain Name Registration Period?

clangallacher

affiliate
I came across an article a few days ago covering SEO tips, one of the tips covered Domain Name Registration Periods. I can not for the sake of me remember where I read it, I was just browsing.

See below his 2 tips regarding registration periods:

• If you register your domain name for 1 year only. Google looks on this as website tourism and will not take your website serious till your 2nd year.

• On the other hand he did say registering your domain name for a 5 year period, will be looked upon by Google as being a serious website owner with commitment.
Do you think their is any truth behind what he is saying?

Yes there is truth in it and it's very simple logic.

If you buy a domain name for 1 year, then as you say it's seen more as a tourism thing and possibly could be a spam site.

On the other hand if you register your domain name for 5+ years, then the search engines will think "Ok, this domain is registered for 5+ years, therefore it's a serious thing and not just a fly-by-night operation"

Why would you spend all that money on registering a domain name if you was going to use it as a spam site/domain?

KP

KingPin,

I was thinking along those lines when I first read the Domain tips, was not to sure, thus the reason behind the post. Thanks for confirming.

I have come across this assertion before as well, I think its pretty logical, no firm confirmation that G does accords any special ranking privileges to domain registered for a longer period though.

Nope, nothing set in stone from Google but then Google wouldn't tell you how to rank for number 1 either.

I guess if your running a business and your serious about it then it's a logical thing to do. Even if it's not for an SEO purpose.

KP

length of domain registration was mentioned by someone from Google, but I can't remember if it was officially or unoficially :(

I think you're right.
For google, old sites have better reputation than new sites.
But i dont think Google will have different act with new site.

I had read also that Google takes into account the length of time a domain name has before it expires/due for renewal, that is longer to renewal is due the more atention it takes.

MI
Back