Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Does the domain really matter anymore?

K

Administrator
Administrator
Internet Marketing Deals
High Converting Landing Pages | ConversionWise
So some people spend money on domains, others don't.

I have done both for example CPAFix was un registered and i've turned it into a highly valuable domain and property.

However in the past 6 months i've spent thousands on two very nice registered domains in private sales.

So to you does the domain matter anymore or is it more what you do with it?

So to you does the domain matter anymore or is it more what you do with it?

What you do with the domain always mattered ;)

Having a memorable domain name surely helps. CPAFix is a perfect name for this forum ;)

For exact match domains, I don't think they are really worth it anymore. Having a domain with 4-5-6 words in it just screams -spammy, and since Google devalued those EMD domains, I wouldn't use them anyways.
Plus, Google is also working on destroying 1, 2, 5, 10 page affiliate sites as well, making EMD domains even less useful, and here is why IMO:

In my mind, the long term goal seems to be to build large sites with a huge number of pages. If I am to build a site with 100+ pages, reasoning is that most visits would come from long-tail search. So if I build such a big site, then I would rather brand it.

For example, assuming the phrase "best CPA discussion happening here" is a phrase that is searched for a lot according to GKT, I would argue that branding an exact match domain that is called BestCPADiscussionHappeningHere.com is a lot harder to do then brand a domain named CPAFix.com. And no one was searching for the phrase "CPA fix" before this forum was founded ;).

Still, I would also argue that having a forum like CPAFix without the domain that contains the word CPA in it wouldn't be as effective.

Conclusion - domains do matter, but not in the sense we used to use them - ie. for small micro affiliate sites. Rather, domain names matter for branding, for imprinting a memorable name in our visitors minds, a name that strait off suggests what the domain is about - like the name CPAFix suggests what this for this forum is about even before we start reading it.

PS. I wouldn't name my CPA forum Google, Facebook (even IF those names weren't taken, now especially) or anything similar and random that sounds good and memorable. Like I wrote already, the domain would have to have the word CPA contained in it ;).

I use "mini-sites" that I link as affiliate.
For these minisites the domain is important.
(therefore I put the keyword also in the domain)

In my opinion, domain name doesn't effect ranking these days. It's the content that matters. If your domain is a TLD and doesn't contain spam or adult (for SFW sites) keywords, it'll work for you. If you do onpage SEO correctly, ghryf.com can rank for any keyword. It'll not happen overnight, but it'll happen.

Yes, domains matter.

Think about Branding, aged domains, established sites, and seo.

Spend money on a domain if its going to be brand-able and valuable.
Aged domains are much easier to rank.
Aged domains + backlinks easier...
You can rank for "Dog Snuggies" with superbloggermom.com but it will be easier with something containing dog or snuggie UNTIL you become Wikipedia...

I think relevant domains still matters, i.e. those that can convey what the site is about. They don't have to be EMD but still must contain the broad niche keyword.

I would focus on branding yourself. All of the top sites on the internet are all names. Memorable names.

Someone on here said that it's what you do with the domain that matters too. That's true. Focus on putting good content on your site and then market like crazy. Build your following.

Jinger

In terms of SEO I think it's a nice plus if you can get your keywords in your domain but it isn't necessary.

If I can get a domain that is short, brandable, rolls of the tongue AND has my keywords in it... then I'll go for it.

CPAFix is great example because it's a extremely brandable domain AND it includes one of the main keywords that K is going after (CPA).

But if I can't get find a good brandable keyword rich domain then I'm not too worried either. I've ranked plenty of sites for keywords that aren't in their domains too.

It's all about whats more important to that specific site, brand or keywords.

Both can be achieved but they are hard to find.

I still think that domain is important. Great websites always got great domain. For me,good start is when you get good domain and then make your page. :)

After all Google updates, domain extensions no longer such a role in SEO. Although it is still a good selection site names with keywords in the URL.
Let me give an example of my blog linksbuild that was done in wordpress.com and currently ranks third in the first page of Google for the term and create great backlinks. I think it is now more important for Google quality content and method of building backlinks.

google rank.jpg

Yes I think the keywords as you say can be nice to have in the domain but EMD's maybe are losing abit of clout.

Hmm. I went searching for a domain name that is actually two words, it just popped into my head and I love it. Immediately, I knew what I wanted it to be and look like. I got so excited and inspired that for the first time in 16 months, I wrote up a storm of content.

There is an exact domain match but it is currently held by a guy in Australia who's account is suspended. It doesn't expire until September. I can get it in extensions other than .com (i.e. .ca for Canada where I live) but I'm trying to stick to K's guide. Besides, I don't know how many people have already tried to visit this guy's site and have seen that the account is suspended. Something I don't want associated with my site.

So. I think that I will add the word 'the' or 'my' to the beginning. Yes, that makes it three words but damn, I have such a good feeling about this and was very happy to hear that the domain name is not as important as it once was. It does contain a keyword specific to the site's offerings.

If things go well, I intend to purchase domains (U.S. and Canada) of it with and without the word 'the' (or 'my').

Okay, I'm off to Hostgator to buy my very first domain and hosting. By the way, K, you're links in Newbie411 for the specials don't work. They go to 404 pages. I am still going to try putting in the coupon code so you get (hopefully) credit for it.

So. I think that I will add the word 'the' or 'my' to the beginning. Yes, that makes it three words but damn, I have such a good feeling about this and was very happy to hear that the domain name is not as important as it once was. It does contain a keyword specific to the site's offerings.

Additions please never in front of the keyword, not even in the middle, but if an addition, then only after (= at the end) of the main keyword.
Otherwise it would be no longer the keyword itself.

E.g. the keyword "dog training": if an addition, then something like "dog training 24" or "dog training easy",
but never "my dog training" or "dog best training". → this is no more the main keyword !

The data are not read by humans, but by crawler (robots), and they don't understand this. For a crawler it is another keyword.

Additions please never in front of the keyword, not even in the middle, but if an addition, then only after (= at the end) of the main keyword.
Otherwise it would be no longer the keyword itself.

E.g. the keyword "dog training": if an addition, then something like "dog training 24" or "dog training easy",
but never "my dog training" or "dog best training". → this is no more the main keyword !

The data are not read by humans, but by crawler (robots), and they don't understand this. For a crawler it is another keyword.

Well, I guess there is a good reason that I was unable to make the purchase this afternoon....I think you just saved me. Thanks, Marc!

Dang it though, I had everything planned out. Guess it's back to the drawing board for the name and maybe my header plans. Good thing I enjoy an achievable challenge. :)

I would focus on branding yourself. All of the top sites on the internet are all names. Memorable names.

Someone on here said that it's what you do with the domain that matters too. That's true. Focus on putting good content on your site and then market like crazy. Build your following.

Jinger

I agree. I think now, having a domain related to something you're promoting is is essential if you're trying to create memorial name for viewers.

I'm pretty sure Google's Panda and Penguin updates eliminated that type of thing, but still having an easy-to-remember name is definitely a plus.

Good content plus good on-site seo plus good marketing, like she said, is key.

banners
Back