The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Does google count no follow links?

No. The Googlebot spider will follow no-follow links to see if there are any do-follow links at the destination but Google does not include no-follow links in its ranking algorithms.

I believe that some links even no-follow much count for somethings. Example: Wikipedia links? Do they count for nothing?

Whether they offically count we will never know but they are spidered and it makes sense to have a good combination of do follow and no follow links to make your linking look natural ........

Even a "no-follow" link can be quite valuable if it's in located somewhere that will actually attract interest from real people who are interested in what you have to offer. Links that have a genuine chance of driving traffic to your site are more important than simply having followed links.

Thanks for making this clear minstrel. I do see the no follow links in google analytics, so I could tell google was following them, but was pretty sure google wasn't giving them any weight.

Good point Aaron. Matt Cutts addressed this question sometime last year or so about the value of blog commenting in a blog with no follow tags. He said that if you're going out and spamming blogs with content that is of no value, you're wasting your time. The value comes in the fact that you may generate traffic to your site simply by someone interested in your informative post.

Even though the no follow does not pass any authority, they are still a vital part of the total link profile. Google knows exactly what % range of your links will be no follow and do follow based on statistics they gather across the web. So, if you go on a quest for nothing but do follow links, your never gonna get to the top and stay there.

Just sayin...

Not sure about that. Other than some navigation links, I refuse to use nofollow.

I create 2 or 3 no follows for every 10 do follows just to keep it natural, not sure if this makes a difference but it's no hassle either

There is always controversy over what google counts and what it dosent.. Take second and put yourself in googles shoes, you want to show your audience the best results.. Right?
I dont think it matters google spiders crawl everything and they overall analyze what a site is worth. I think if a site has 0 "no-follow" links it will look unnatural to the search engine and might not rank as well.

Not sure about that. Other than some navigation links, I refuse to use nofollow.

I was referring more to inbounds, not links on the site itself. Like a press release that is syndicated, a large % of them nofollow the links.

I am pretty sure you get a fair share of nofollow links as others link to your sites that are oblivious to what kind of links they are even using to link to your sites.

I was referring more to inbounds, not links on the site itself. Like a press release that is syndicated, a large % of them nofollow the links.

I am pretty sure you get a fair share of nofollow links as others link to your sites that are oblivious to what kind of links they are even using to link to your sites.

Ah, yes, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

I dont think it matters google spiders crawl everything and they overall analyze what a site is worth. I think if a site has 0 "no-follow" links it will look unnatural to the search engine and might not rank as well.

I believe the point was that they do spider, track user reactions to the visitors on any specific site through people with a google toolbar, plus 1 accounts. Then this data is pooled, and they look for common traits. They also do the same with links. I am pretty sure they know what % of dofollows they should have for any given niche or category.

I am also sure it changes from time to time because things on the web change fast, they have to slow down gaming of the system.

So, what they spider does matter and play a part in what factors or "signals" they setup to clean up the serps, but I do agree that you have to have a certain number of nofollow and dofollow, non essential anchors like "click here" and "visit their website" and the links. There is also a host of other factors.

The trick is that you do not have to get them all perfect, just closer to what they are looking for than your comp, kinda like a sliding scale when it comes to inbound links.

Onpage? That is a whole different ballgame with Panda in the bushes. You had better have the site right, or the sweet little panda bear will knock you down with absolute fury.

In fact, for the first time even, my team is more focused on the site than they are on links, and that is the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
banners
Back