Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

DMOZ Link Now Without Value?

D

djbaxter

DMOZ Link Now Without Value?
by Barry Schwartz, Search Engine Roundtable
Aug 29, 2012

It has been almost three years since I talked about the Open Directory Project - DMOZ on this site. I guess it shows how much the SEO community cares for it these days. That being said, a WebmasterWorld thread has one SEO really upset that his newly acquired DMOZ link has no apparent ranking benefit to him in the Google search results.

He said after two years of trying to get a DMOZ link, he got it, Google indexed it but he saw absolutely no ranking improvement after the fact. He feels like all that wait and anticipation, was a huge let down...

Read more...

I hope I am not upsetting any dmoz fans, but I have wondered all along how much of that was all a myth anyway?

Google is connected with dmoz, and it used to take years or never to get onto their directory, but since most people feel the value of directories are dead these days, why even bother.

with the millions of sites out there, and many niche sites corresponding to your niche, how would anyone really expect one single link from a massive general directory to be of any major value, if any value at all.

It is now 2012 and directories have lost their shine many years ago, Panda and many more google updates have come and passed and downgraded random links and tricks so why would just another directory be any different? Am I right???

Google is connected with dmoz

Not really.

Years ago, when Yahoo was still a power, Google decided that they should also have a directory like the prestigious (then) Yahoo Directory.

Google's only connection with DMOZ was to take a feed from the DMOZ directory and brand it with their own logos and PageRank displays. Anyone could do that and presumably still can do that, so you could have had your own DMOZ directory on the net if you wanted to. You could not submit sites to Google - all submissions had to go to DMOZ editors - and Google had no control over the content of the DMOZ directory.

Over time, partly as Yahoo's search influence declined, Google increasingly lost interest in DMOZ, updating it less and less frequently, then delegating it to their back pages, and finally dropping it altogether.

Submission to DMOZ isn't a bad idea. But you may never get accepted to the directory as some sections no longer get monitored, so if your site happens to fit into a category that is no longer monitored you'll be waiting a long long time.

With the millions of sites out there, and many niche sites corresponding to your niche, how would anyone really expect one single link from a massive general directory to be of any major value, if any value at all.

I think that Bruce is right by saying that. Often webmasters are so caught in acquiring a link from a single site that think might give them a huge boost regarding rank. At the same there are millions of sites out there that they can easily get links from. Even though those links may not be as valuable as the one they were interested in, but it's still a link. When submitting your site to DMOZ, there is no guarantee that your site will be included in their Directory, since they are very picky.

I posted about this on another board. It too was a thread about SEO. I've only ever had one link in the DMOZ directory and I can't say that it made much of a difference.

Back in the day everyone was ranting and raving about how you had to have a link in their directory to get found by search engines and increase your Google rank, but the internet has changed.

The best way to get your website indexed is to link to it on other "authority" sites so that the spiders can find them, but DMOZ is just one a billion.

I have had several sites that were never included(despite my attempts) and thousands of my pages have reached the top ten in Google, Yahoo, MSN, Bing and others.

In the other thread that I posted in about this I said, "If I was smart I would have put 'Sites that trade links with us rank better in Google' at the top of my site that got 2 million hits last year and I'd have gotten thousands of reciprocal link requests putting my traffic on autopilot." That's pretty much what DMOZ did in my opinion. Seems like they would monetize it.

Around 2005 I tried sooo hard to get into that directory. Submitted... waited... followed all rules... Finally entered (one url). After my web site URLs changed, I still keep a 301 to that page. Still i get few visitors here and there from DMOZ links.

But directories dead or not, I can't say. But I can say that people still submit to directories. I own a directory for webmaster resources. People still submit links to it.

MI
Back