monetizer expertmobi
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Disclosure Statement

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimisation' started by azgold, Nov 6, 2013.

1. azgold

azgold Moderator moderator affiliate

I'm not sure about Canadian rules but I know the FTC requires disclosure statements on marketing sites. If you are running a CPA site, the material disclosure doesn't really match the content because it states that if a user clicks on a banner/link and buys something, I will make a commission. If I'm displaying banners offering free stuff/samples, whatever then the statement will do nothing but make a website visitor suspicious.

So, is the obvious answer - dump the wp disclosure plugin and make up my own that says I may make a commission if they part with their info - the best way to handle compliance without hurting creditability?

2. monetizer
  3. lumpenfolk

lumpenfolk Affiliate affiliate

How do the big sites in your niche / country handle disclosure? They are likely to have put a lot of thought into the question.

DISCLOSURE: I am not a lawyer, or Canadian

4. Jay Wessman

Jay Wessman Affiliate affiliate

If you phrase it right it shouldn't matter too much. So you can say something like "We get a lot of visitors and hosting is costly so to help us to may those monthly bills we get a small commission every time somebody signs up through our affiliate link... thanks!".

Be creative and try to write it in a way that makes the user feel good about supporting the site rather than like they are just a dollar sign to you.

1 person likes this.
  5. lumpenfolk

lumpenfolk Affiliate affiliate

Jay's comment about being creative reminded me of John Chow's disclosure page:

johnchow.com/about/my-disclosure-policy/

Be careful - it might make you want to send him some money ;)

6. azgold

Jay, you are brilliant, thanks!

By the way, I've been taking your free course. As soon as I make some money, I'll be following up with Screw 95.

7. azgold

Hehe, love the part where he says that if you email him, he can use your message as blackmail. :)

I read last night that there has to be a disclaimer at the top of every post. I'm going to try to figure out how to make that happen in Wordpress. Gawd, Blogger is so much easier!

I know I'm not a US citizen but a lot of our laws mirror our big brother to the south, so I'm trying to stay ahead of any hassles.

Featured Resources (View All)

MI