The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Disclosure Statement

azgold

Administrator
Administrator
Dojo Master
I'm not sure about Canadian rules but I know the FTC requires disclosure statements on marketing sites. If you are running a CPA site, the material disclosure doesn't really match the content because it states that if a user clicks on a banner/link and buys something, I will make a commission. If I'm displaying banners offering free stuff/samples, whatever then the statement will do nothing but make a website visitor suspicious.

So, is the obvious answer - dump the wp disclosure plugin and make up my own that says I may make a commission if they part with their info - the best way to handle compliance without hurting creditability?

How do the big sites in your niche / country handle disclosure? They are likely to have put a lot of thought into the question.

DISCLOSURE: I am not a lawyer, or Canadian

If you phrase it right it shouldn't matter too much. So you can say something like "We get a lot of visitors and hosting is costly so to help us to may those monthly bills we get a small commission every time somebody signs up through our affiliate link... thanks!".

Be creative and try to write it in a way that makes the user feel good about supporting the site rather than like they are just a dollar sign to you.

Jay's comment about being creative reminded me of John Chow's disclosure page:

johnchow.com/about/my-disclosure-policy/

Be careful - it might make you want to send him some money ;)

If you phrase it right it shouldn't matter too much. So you can say something like "We get a lot of visitors and hosting is costly so to help us to may those monthly bills we get a small commission every time somebody signs up through our affiliate link... thanks!".

Be creative and try to write it in a way that makes the user feel good about supporting the site rather than like they are just a dollar sign to you.

Jay, you are brilliant, thanks!

By the way, I've been taking your free course. As soon as I make some money, I'll be following up with Screw 95.

Jay's comment about being creative reminded me of John Chow's disclosure page:

johnchow.com/about/my-disclosure-policy/

Be careful - it might make you want to send him some money ;)

Hehe, love the part where he says that if you email him, he can use your message as blackmail. :)

I read last night that there has to be a disclaimer at the top of every post. I'm going to try to figure out how to make that happen in Wordpress. Gawd, Blogger is so much easier!

I know I'm not a US citizen but a lot of our laws mirror our big brother to the south, so I'm trying to stay ahead of any hassles.

banners
Back