The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Crushed someone used my handle

LeMichelle

affiliate
I just wanted to share my sadness right now. I hope someone can relate because I need a buddy!

I have a personal website with a unique handle. This handle is very special to me and I haven't seen it being used any where online. I have the domain name for it and email accounts, the whole lot.

But I never signed up for with blogspot under this handle, and the day I did, I found that it is not only already taken but taken by an ex-ex-roommate! My word!

I didn't think I would this devastated over someone having a blogspot name that I really wanted. Am I being silly?

Has any one felt this disappointment for not getting a handle that you wanted?

Please share.

Thanks!

So sorry, sounds frustrating! Did they know about this handle or know the word or phrase had special meaning to you? Do you think they did it on purpose?

Yes, I shared the story of where my handle came from to my ex-ex-roommate years ago.

I guess along his travels he decided to use it for his blogspot. I don't think it was intentional, I was just disappointed that I didn't grab the blogspot handle first!

It was like a comic wave of events, you know?

I entered my handle in the field and then it came back as "taken".

And then when I searched for it online thinking maybe I had already signed up for under a different account. That's when I saw that it was taken, just not by me. :(

I'm okay now. I think I may act a bit strongly over it a few moments ago but that just means tonight I'm going to make sure I sign up to every social network, wordpress, email account with my beloved handle!

Thanks for listening. :)

You know what, I so totally understand.

Something similar happened to me but not with a friend or X room mate.

Sme forums don't all a long enough user name for me to use 5starAffiliatePrograms,
so on many I had to shorten to 5starAffiliates. Never thought much about it, it was just a screen name. Then one day someone said I just visited your site 5starAffiliates.com

It was like someone hit me over the head with a hammer.
I just never thought anyone would think that was my domain,
never thought to even see if it was available.

Guess what I found when I checked. Not only was it taken, but
the guy was running ads for Z@ango, MLM and all kinds of stuff
I would not want my name associated with.

Shoe Money and other bloggers still often blog "I saw this over at Linda's 5starAffiliates blog" and I cringe afraid someone will go to that .com looking for my blog and would think that site was mine.

At one point I tried to buy it, then got busy and dropped it. I should try it again and just redirect it here. It does not get any traffic but would probably be smart just so no one gets the wrong idea thinking it's mine.

So I hope my story make you feel a little bit better. :eek:

It does, thanks Linda at the real 5Star! Heehee. ;)

You work so hard and building your name just to find out someone is also using but in a blas? kind way, it's a bummer.

In any case, live and learn.

You know, you may had trouble with forums not letting you have your long username, imagine my chagrin not being able to a short username. I always want just Le, which is my first name, but most forums request you have at least 3 characters in your username.

I'm called "greenflash" in virtually every forum I've ever been in, and i'm shocked AND crushed when someone else uses it - how do they know to use that obscure of a word??

but I also use 'greenflash808' when that's the case - but it still irks me, so I know the feeling.....

that jsut makes your next handle all the more unique, you know???

Peace.

Doug :D

banners
Back