The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Connecticut Affiliates - Immediate Action Needed

Linda Buquet

affiliate
Connecticut legislation has changed and we are concerned their #Advertising Tax bill will fast track. SB806 is now ready to move to debate into the Senate, and then the House. The Senate convenes on Tuesday, April 14th, and this sales tax bill, could be debated as early as Tuesday.

Rebecca Madigan from the PMA sent me the following info and asked me to get it out to my readers. <strong>If you are a network, a blogger or know other affiliates, please help us spread the word.</strong>

"Connecticut is a much larger challenge than we've faced so far. In California, we're trying to convince 9 people who are on a committee. In Connecticut, it has moved out of committee, so now we need to convince 151 legislators. There are multiple points we can attack this (block in the senate, block in the house, governor veto)." <!--more-->

<strong>Subject: Connecticut Affiliates - Immediate Action Needed</strong>

Dear Connecticut Affiliate Marketer,

Connecticut legislators are proposing a bill that will unfairly threaten performance marketers. A similar law was passed in New York last year, with devastating effect to some affiliates. We suspect over 200 merchants shut down their New York affiliate programs as a result of this law. It could have the same devastating effect on Connecticut affiliates. Learn more here.

A number of companies and lobbyist groups are working together to fight this bill, and they all agree - the best chance we have to beat this bill is for all the hundreds of performance marketers in Connecticut to speak out against bill SB 806. The Performance Marketing Alliance is sponsoring a grass-roots campaign to fight SB 806 and there are 2 simple things you, as a Connecticut affiliate, NEED to do. And you NEED TO DO THEM BETWEEN NOW AND TUESDAY MORNING. First, locate your House and Senate representatives here. (look under House and Senate sections on the left side)

Legislators respond to simple and straightforward messages. We have learned, in other states, that legislators care most about the impact on small businesses in their districts and their states. We have crafted 2 simple approaches below, it should take you a few minutes to complete, but it will have a tremendous impact on this legislation.

<strong>#1 Call your house and senate representatives.</strong>

It's 2 quick calls. You'll probably just leave a message (call after hours!) or talk to a staffer. It is a very brief conversation. Here's what you say:

My name is [ ], and I am a small business owner in your district. SB 806 will jeopardize my business. There are hundreds of small businesses just like mine in Connecticut, which will be devastated if this bill passes. We are affiliate marketers and we advertise on the internet. SB 806 assumes we sell on behalf of out of state retailers, but that is not true. I urge you to oppose SB 806.

<strong>#2 Send letter, email or fax to your house & senate representatives.</strong>

These are 2 quick messages. It is important to stick to some very simple points, which will have the most impact to these representatives. Form letters aren't as effective as sending something personal. Fax is probably the best and fastest approach.

<strong>Here are key points to include in your message:</strong>

1. Who you are, where you live, and any ties you have to the community.
2. Include this information, or a variation:
* I am an affiliate marketer and I earn a living through Internet advertising. I do not sell merchant products, I do not even know who their customers are. I advertise.
* My business earns revenue through advertising for out-of-state merchants. XX% of my revenue comes from out-of-state merchants (it is important to add an approximate percentage, so legislators can see the impact).
* I know out-of-state advertisers will stop working with me, because that is what happened to affiliates in New York.
3. Emphatically state:
* I need you to oppose SB 806. Can I count on you to be against this terrible legislation?
4. Ask your legislator to contact you and provide an update on SB 806. Be sure to include your telephone and email.

Your livelihood is at risk if you don't help, and the best way to help is to reach out to your elected officials. They will hear you! Our strength is in our numbers.

Please visit the <strong><a href="http://www.performancemarketingalliance.com/">Performance Marketing Alliance</a></strong> for additional information and other steps you can take. <strong><a href="http://www.performancemarketingalliance.com/2009/04/11/connecticut-legislature-resources/">Connecticut Legislature Resources</a></strong>

banners
Back