The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Chances of ranking 1 with exact .co domain extension?

TeDWooD

The new .co domain names have now been granted geographical power by google. What are the chances of ranking highly with an exact keyphrase?

The same as ranking #1 with any other TLD. Google has repeatedly made it clear thst the TLD is not a factor in ranking.

How does this compare to the likes of .com, .co.uk, .net and .org because we all specify an importance on the type of domain put in.
.com being most important and .org being least important f you know what i mean.

How does this compare to the likes of .com, .co.uk, .net and .org because we all specify an importance on the type of domain put in.
.com being most important and .org being least important f you know what i mean.

As I said, this is a persistent myth but it's still a myth.

The TLD is of some importance if you're concerned about ranking in one of the regional Googles (and even in that case there are other factors which can and do outweigh TLD). Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

I haven't been in a rush to do so personally but perhaps I should be too. :)

It really shouldn't make a difference. I just find them expensive at 29.99 per domain an they aren't as "memorable" IMO.

Chanches of ranking #1 in google with an exact kw domain are a lot larger then ranking for the same with a none kw domain. Not becourse google favors keyword domains, but simply becourse other sites will link to you with the correct anchor text if you have a keyword domain.
Think about it: if your site gets listed in Dmoz for example, and your domain is a keyword domain, you will get link juice from Dmoz with the correct anchor text, vs "wrong" anchor text. THAT makes a HUGE difference

Think about it: if your site gets listed in Dmoz for example, and your domain is a keyword domain, you will get link juice from Dmoz with the correct anchor text, vs "wrong" anchor text. THAT makes a HUGE difference

Anchor text does make a huge difference, but in fact often the anchor text you get from DMOZ is poor. This is in part because their rules are that part of any listing is the category in which the link resides and the category is NOT repeated in the anchor text. Since in most cases, it's the category and subcategories that contain the important keywords, you won't get those in your anchor text and the result will be a poor link from that standpoint.

The Dmoz listing is simply ONE little example: If you have a keyword domain, ALL other sites (where you cannot control anchor text) will link to your domain with the correct anchor text naturally. That is why keyword domains are MUCH better then none keyword domains: All natural links are very likely to have the correct anchor text, while non-keyword domains will very likely have the wrong anchor text ( unless you can control the anchor text somehow)
Minstrel: Do a search for "Headshops" in Dmoz ( just as an example)
You will find the category "headshops"
Now if you own a domain "headshops.com" you will have the perfect link from Dmoz
Your anchor text will be Headshops in a category on Dmoz called "Headshops"
Howmuch better do you want it?

btw. you are the first person that i head saying links from Dmoz are poor mate

I wasn't disagreeing with your point about domain names, but rather just pointing out a problem with most DMOZ listings.

Thanks for the clrification.

TLD doesnt matter, if your site is good and you are doing on page and off page seo than you will be able to rank with any domain extension

The TLD is also a factor in click thru rate once you site ranks on Google. In my opinion, most general searches and web users still give the most wait to .com domains and therefore these domains my yield a higher click thru rate vs. a .co of the sames keyword.

good luck!

banners
Back