The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

[CASE STUDY] Buying My Way To Traffic For My New Affiliate Site

Matt Jensen

affiliate
Hello guys!

I tried my first affiliate site when I was 16. Half a year after I created the page I gave up as I didn't see many results. I made no money. Over the last 11 years I have tried a few times again, without any luck. Once I created a page where I let the domain expire. After it had expired I happened to pass my affiliate network one day, where I discovered that the page had actually made money for me - not much, but something. I just discovered it too late.

All in all, I'm sure it can succeed if you are just focused and patient. However, I rarely hold these properties. But now I'm ready to try again - and turn my passion into profit!

I bought the domain woodworkcasestudies.com. For this I paid a freelancer $ 250 to set up an affiliate funnel via BuilderAll with a landing page and an email campaign with 7 emails promoting a Clickbank product. I’ll move in less than a few months, where I will have room to make case studies about woodworking, which I will add continuously to my email campaign in order to give a lot of delicious free information to my readers.

In my previous projects, it has always been to get more and more visitors to the site who have taken the air off the projects. I would like to have traffic fairly quickly and can find many “targeted traffic” providers online. However, these providers are often difficult to find reviews for, so now I will give them a shot myself. As a service they generally get badly mentioned, but I simply have to try them out, because there must be someone who can deliver since they can survive! Or there are just too many naive fools like me who just have to try them out. ;)

MY PLAN IS:
- Test 6 different providers over the next 6 months
- Order a package from each provider for about 10,000 visitors over 30 days
- Find their package that promises the best quality (conversion / targeting)

MY BUDGET IS:
- Traffic packages: max. $ 100 per package ($ 600 total)
- Domain: $ 10 (already purchased)
- Setup: $ 250 (already purchased)

I have absolutely no ulterior motives on this case study - You will find no affiliate links in my upcoming posts. This listing is just for getting input and ideas for the project - but just as much to keep myself to the fire when I have warriors that come along.

I have not yet found an effective way to track the traffic properly from the various providers, so far they are tested monthly, so I can effectively keep track of the percentage of leads per visitor from the various sources. As some of the packages will vary (I may not be able to order 10,000 with a provider and have to order 15,000), the test result of each provider will be a direct result of the conversion rate (subscribed to the email list vs. number of visitors). However, it will also affect if the provider does not deliver the ordered number of visitors.

My hope is that after the next 6 months I have 2,000 registered for my email list with a average conversion rate of 3%. To put a few numbers on this:
- Total number of visitors: 60,000
- Of which enrolled for email list: 2,000
- Of which turn into a sale: 60

As I earn around $ 55 per sale with my affiliate link, it will be $ 3,300 in total and $ 2,440 in profit. A lead conversion of approx. 3% for both registration and then sale, I actually think is low compared to what I have read on many blogs - but since I have also read several places what to expect from this type of traffic, I think that maybe it is the most realistic goals to set.

When the test is over, I'll pick out a winner of these providers and, as a small extra test, order one of the biggest packages, which I will let run over a month to see how good conversions they can deliver in their small vs big packages.

FIRST OFFER

So my first provider, I've found is TrafficGiga.com where they promise 10,000 - 15,000 visitors for $ 67 "Unique and Targeted Visitors". The cool thing about TrafficGiga is that they can deliver directly to my specific subniche: woodworking plans.

Provider: trafficgiga.com
Package: Plus
Visitors: 10,000 - 15,000
Price: $ 67
Targeted Country: UK
Targeted URL: woodworkcasestudies.com
Keywords/niche: woodwork plans
Order date: 12 June 2019

I've placed the order yesterday and my case study has truly started. I will keep you updated weekly.

The very best regards
Matt

trafficgiga; is that a 'shot-in-the-dark' or have you used their traffic before (or have some other basis for the decision)?
I looked at trafficgiga's website -- had a nice look and some TALL claims. I don't think any traffic is going to be 100% human.
67/12.5 =5.36/K <<< that is some very expensive traffic --however if it converts well for you it's worth the price.
I have not yet found an effective way to track the traffic properly from the various providers,
You HAVE to do this somehow. I like to work with the raw server logs. Can you access your server logs? What about the affiliate offer itself --can you get a post back of a conversion to a commercial tracking program?

Why only the UK? Language is obvious but there are many other native English speaking markets? Where is the targeted affiliate product sold from --the financial processing of the sale < is it a credit card, paypal paid, etc. That may affect the conversion ratios (CR)

Last edited:
Hi Graybeard!

Thank you for your comment!

I've found TraficGaga through Google and read a lot about them. I like what they're promising, but yeah - you can say it's a bit of a 'shot-in-the-dark'.

What I meant with my problems with tracking the traffic was that I haven't found a solution to keep the traffic from the different suppliers appart, hence the 'once-per-month' kind of approach, while analyzing the traffic with Google Analytics.

I use the UK because I believe that it's a great market for my product and I can only choose one country per order. When I've (hopefully) found the best traffic source avaible, I will intend to target other native English speaking markets. The product vendor is based at USA, so yeah that would be the #1 marked to go for, but I have a feeling that UK is the best to start with (perhaps a bit lower competition).

Wow! Doesn’t look great... At all!

Thank you for your research, Graybeard. I’ve already placed the order, so I’ll just cross my fingers and hope for the best. :)

Hi Matt,

looking forward to following your case study!

One question: Why aren't you buying ads on Facebook or Google (search or even display)?

Best,
Jonathan

Look out!
gigatraffic's alexa pro ;)

IDK, I would first test their free service -- and see if that is for real before I spent any money? who knows???
gigatraffic.jpg

Hi Matt,

looking forward to following your case study!

One question: Why aren't you buying ads on Facebook or Google (search or even display)?

Best,
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

I did buy ads on Facebook as well. But it would take me some time to optimize the CTR and CPC and I want to get a lot of traffic right now for lower cost. I was actually looking at my ads in my Facebook account, when I’ve got the idea for this case study.

After the next 6-7 months, I might do a small case study for Facebook Ads.

Hey guys!

So the traffic to my site started on June 14 and has been around 700 visitors a day ever since. If that continues, then at least I get a lot more traffic than paid for (21,000 up to 10-15,000 hits), so that part seems to be fine.

Status-1-1-P1.png

Status-1-1-P2.png

My landing page is pretty simple and it doesn't contain much, because I'm trying to get people to sign up for my mailing list if they want to know more.

For my entire case study I have chosen to focus on the UK, which is also being adhered to as we can see in the statistics from Google Analytics.

Status-1-1-P3.png

Of a total of 4793 visitors I have had 2 signups, one of which has been myself that has tested my tracking setup.

This gives a total conversion rate of 0.02%. It's not much! This can be due to the fact that my landing page requires an optimization, but also that the traffic source is just not very good.

I let this campaign continue with current setup - but in the meantime I will also switch to mailer for MailerLite, as I have previously had experience with these and prefer their reporting tool rather than at BuilderAll.

It was the short status of the first 9 days. Up to the next status I will set up some better tracking and prepare for the next provider.

Until we meet again!

Matt.

Last edited:
This gives a total conversion rate of 0.02%. It's not much!

2/4793
(2/4793)*100

that is .04%

so you cost per customer acquisition the 'CR' is about $15
how much does the offer pay out?
and on what terms: 1 time pay-out or some rev-share arrangement?

bottom line is what matters ;)

some say 1% is the average CR
with the cost of google or bing you need a lot more 5%+

Hi Graybeard!

Yeah, but I deducted my own test tracking in my calculation.

The offer pays out $55 per sale, allthough there can be some upsell. But first I need them to convert trough my mail list - I’ve calculated with a conversion rate of 3% from my list, so there’s a long way to go in order to make some money with these numbers...

This gives a total conversion rate of 0.02%. It's not much!

2/4793
(2/4793)*100

that is .04%

so you cost per customer acquisition the 'CR' is about $15
how much does the offer pay out?
and on what terms: 1 time pay-out or some rev-share arrangement?

bottom line is what matters ;)

some say 1% is the average CR
with the cost of google or bing you need a lot more 5%+

cash on cash ROI will should end like this with this traffic;

4793/12500
.38 TRAFFIC USED
2/(4793/12500)
5.26 PROJECTED CONVERSIONS
2/(4793/12500)*55
$289.30 GROSS REVENUE
67/(2/(4793/12500)*55)
.23 COST OF ADS
67/(2/(4793/12500))
12.73 COST PER CUSTOMER ACQUISITION

That's cash-on-cash ROI on ad spend

ROMI would include your email additional revenue or any resales over the customer lifetime (CL)

I am interested more in that ad source.
A $55 payout is good if the offer will convert -- it is :)

Last edited:
MI
Back