The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

500,000 Visits From PPV Afiliate In One Day (DDOS) - Have Affiliate Use Squeeze Page?

olimits7

Website Owner
affiliate
Hi,

I'm working with an affiliate network and one of their affiliates started sending PPV traffic to my "landing page" at 30,000 visits a day; which was fine. However, I guess this affiliate scaled up and was driving 500,000 visits a day; which just killed my server...it almost felt like a DDOS attack. I have a pretty good server, but handling 500,000 visits in a day was just to much.

I started thinking about this and instead of my server taking the load hit on all this PPV traffic; I'm thinking of having my affiliate network request that their affiliates use their own "squeeze page" that then redirects to my "landing page".

Is this a normal request? I don't want to have my server suffer because these affiliates are directly sending traffic to my "landing page".

Thank you!

Yes you can upgrade your server and migrate to the better server, also you can install Cloudflare to help with a bit of load distr

Also check the Web Server OS you're using... If you are using Apache... there is Mistake #1 for this amount of traffic. If this is the case I would switch over to nGinx webserver OS. It is an event based server instead of a process based server like Apache. If you are familiar with Apache you'll know that it creates separate processes per visitor, and can take a huge drain on server resources if you have a lot of visitors.

here is a little chart to show you the differences.

1932262_1404232009852401_3155442396876596798_n.jpg

As you can see nGinx is way better suited towards our type of business with tons of visitors. Something to check into.

If you are already using nGinx then you will want to upgrade your server or move to amazon or some other CDN type system.

Attachments

• 1932262_1404232009852401_3155442396876596798_n.jpg
    1932262_1404232009852401_3155442396876596798_n.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 72
Hi,

I'm working with an affiliate network and one of their affiliates started sending PPV traffic to my "landing page" at 30,000 visits a day; which was fine. However, I guess this affiliate scaled up and was driving 500,000 visits a day; which just killed my server...it almost felt like a DDOS attack. I have a pretty good server, but handling 500,000 visits in a day was just to much.

I started thinking about this and instead of my server taking the load hit on all this PPV traffic; I'm thinking of having my affiliate network request that their affiliates use their own "squeeze page" that then redirects to my "landing page".

Is this a normal request? I don't want to have my server suffer because these affiliates are directly sending traffic to my "landing page".

Thank you!

how much money you made with your traffic?

Just upgrade to better quality dedicated server. As more affiliates start promoting ur offer you are gonna need to improve your server.
Not upgrading would cost both u and ur affiliates.

Affiliates would stop promoting ur offer because, your server cant handle that many clicks.

I suggest you upgrade ur server

Also check the Web Server OS you're using... If you are using Apache... there is Mistake #1 for this amount of traffic. If this is the case I would switch over to nGinx webserver OS. It is an event based server instead of a process based server like Apache. If you are familiar with Apache you'll know that it creates separate processes per visitor, and can take a huge drain on server resources if you have a lot of visitors.

here is a little chart to show you the differences.

As you can see nGinx is way better suited towards our type of business with tons of visitors. Something to check into.

If you are already using nGinx then you will want to upgrade your server or move to amazon or some other CDN type system.

This is not accurate at all. Most people just don't know how to properly configure Apache or NGiNX on the backend and optimized the front end (remove html whitespace, minify css/js, scale and compress images, combine css/js into single files without breakage). Your mindset for configuring a webserver has to be the same way with setting up a paid campaign. You have to test. The key is to reduce the number of requests and cache everything that you can. Turn on disk cache for Apache and fast cache for NGiNX and watch them both spit out pages like there is no tomorrow. The webserver is best that works least (a pun on Thoreau).

-----

This is a $5 Digital Ocean instant with a 150+ article database and moderately heavy theme unaltered. The results are virtually identical.

Apache Results - ldr.io/1AmcnbP

oi60.tinypic.com/105b7s9.jpg

NGiNX Results - ldr.io/1mS36y5

oi60.tinypic.com/2hxoim9.jpg

banners
Back