The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

xml site map advice

john11

affiliate
Hi every i hoping someone here can help,

I had seo work carry out work to my site by a company who didnt know what they were doing i lost my home page for all my keywords for 2 weeks untill my webmaster put the site back to how it was, the hompage is now back up after being reindexed by google, and i am unsure of something,

Sorry for such a basic question, A xml site map was added to my site when this bad seo company carried out work i noticed it had two urls for the homepage, and these urls are on the site

www domain co uk/index.html

www domain co uk/

I asked about this then they removed the www domain co uk/
and left the www domain co uk/index.html on the xml site map

Is this ok as i see most people have it the other way round?

Should a permant 301 redirect from one url to the other one be put in place to ensure there is no issues with links going to both urls?

I hope someone can help i dont know anything about seo all i have been doing is reading in this fourm and i am guessing the above.

Thank you for any help in advance.

I don't see any problem with having /index.html and I am not sure there is any need for forwarding /index.html to / but some people do it. The only think i will suggest is that you link to / when linking from external sites or even internal pages rather than linking to /index.html

Thanks

I don't see any problem with having /index.html and I am not sure there is any need for forwarding /index.html to / but some people do it. The only think i will suggest is that you link to / when linking from external sites or even internal pages rather than linking to /index.html

Thanks
Thank you Very much for your reply, so it should be fine as is then, i just didnt know this was ok as i thought the the main url www domain .co.uk would be the best one for the site map, i take it does not matter then which one appears then?

Thanks again for your time

I don't think it matters whether you have /index.xxx in your sitemap or not from an SEO perspective.

But you should try and be consistent. If you include the /index.xxx in sitemaps, internal links or backlinks then you may find the stats for your home page are split in tools like AWStats, Analytics etc.

I don't think it matters whether you have /index.xxx in your sitemap or not from an SEO perspective.

But you should try and be consistent. If you include the /index.xxx in sitemaps, internal links or backlinks then you may find the stats for your home page are split in tools like AWStats, Analytics etc.

Thanks for finding the time in writing your reply, i just wanted to be sure it wouldnt cause a problem to the site, cheers.

MI
Back