The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “RollerAds”/

Wordpress

fahren

affiliate
I've decided to dive into Wordpress and data feeds. Only problem is I know nothing about Wordpress. Can anyone recommend a tutorial, ebook to get me up to speed? Or, should I just hire someone to set me up?

Hi fehren,

Well it depends if you have time and are a little technical and are a do-it-yourselfer. If you are, then one of our mods Teli has a great free tutorial on how to set up a wordpress blog.

http://affiliate-marketing-forums.5staraffiliateprograms.com/showthread.php?t=2739

If you would rather outsource it my blog designer is awesome, fast a reasonable. He can get a nice customozed blog set up in about a day for around 150 or so.
I have more moeny than time so I always just pay him to do it for me.
He did this one http://affiliate-blogs.5staraffiliateprograms.com/ and this one: http://www.affiliatemarketingbuzz.com.

Linda-

That's about half of the cheapest price I've been quoted. I'm trying to get my act together in time for the holidays so do pass his name along :)

When you say you have ?decided to dive into Wordpress and data feeds? what exactly are you referring to? (Inbound / outbound / RSS )

As a side note:

Wordpress is a great tool and I use it for all my Blogs, certainly the easiest to template and there are loads to tutorials on the net (if you Google a bit you will find many) as well as many great add-ons.

The only downside of Wordpress is the lack of SEF (Search engine friendly) URLS. Although there are modules out there that can do this for you, the mod?s often mess up other module functionality.

But all in all a great tool?

IM me if you're want a WordPress installed for you. I'll do it for less than $150, but if you need a whole template tweaked or designed for you then Linda's guy is the bomb.

You'll have to buy the datafeed plugin too. I believe that plugin is Teli's, right? Convert Data Feeds To RSS - 5 Star Discount Link ... the link is in his signature.

There are other ways to pull in datafeeds too, but WP is a pretty cool little app.

Anyhow, IM or private message me for pricing if interested. :)

Hello fahren,
Glad to hear you want to get your feet wet with WordPress. As Linda pointed out, in another thread, I do have a WordPress quick start guide which goes over newbie basics to WordPress and a link to my video installation tutorial.

On a side note, getting search engine friendly links to work in WordPress isn't difficult, it's a matter of adding a blank .htaccess file to your blog's root folder and setting up the desired Permalink structure in WordPress itself. [Codex: Permalinks]

Justin, I'm not sure what you mean by modules, but WordPress doesn't use modules (are you referring to plugins?). If you're referring to plugins, there are some out there that will have conflicts with a permalink structure, but they are few and far between.

And, yes, I do have a WordPress Data Feed Import script. It's actually not a plugin, but a stand alone script that snags the datafeed information and inserts it into the WordPress database (basically, creates a blog from your datafeeds).

I also have another script in development (it's actually done, I just haven't launched it yet), Datafeed To RSS, that simply converts a datafeed into RSS 2.0 format for use with other software.

Good luck, and if you need any help, you know where to turn - everyone here is very helpful.

~ Teli

JustinHarrison said:
When you say you have ?decided to dive into Wordpress and data feeds? what exactly are you referring to? (Inbound / outbound / RSS )

As a side note:

Wordpress is a great tool and I use it for all my Blogs, certainly the easiest to template and there are loads to tutorials on the net (if you Google a bit you will find many) as well as many great add-ons.

Just that--use Wordpress for my platform. I'm planning to use Teli's script as well. I found a theme I like but it needs to be massaged a little. Also I need to switch hosts. I get anxiety attacks talking about it . . . :rolleyes:

Hey Bobbie,
I don't have a definite ETA on the Datafeed To RSS script, but I know I'll release it once I finish the documentation (I know, I know...I've been slacking LOL). I hope to get that done this Wednesday, but it's not set in stone...and I'll probably make a mention on the OptiNiche blog or here first. :)

Now, what do you mean by package deal? The WPDFI and DF2RSS as a package? I could be totally off-base because I'm too close to both projects, but wouldn't it be an either/or type of deal? The WPDFI script actually takes out a step and has a few more features than the DF2RSS script. To be frank, the DF2RSS script was developed because the WPDFI script was overkill for a number of my customers who already had RSS2Blog software and just needed an easy way to convert datafeeds into RSS format.

I'd welcome your thoughts about it and whether you'd prefer a package. :)

~ Teli

I should move the RRS forum up the list with all the EXCELLENT blog experts we have here at 5 Star. Mike and Stephen 2 of out other mods are also blog pros.

fahren I forgot to mention Bobbie one of our members who can do it for much less. I would try her.

Teli, so excited about your new software. I was going to start promoting another program that just came out, but maybe I'll wait for yours if it won't be too long.

Wp

Hi Teli,

Hey this is helpful stuff because I have to admit I've been trying to wrap my head around the offerings you have to see what I can tap into them. I'm pretty WP savey, so harder to work with solutions don't scare me. In fact, I might take you the other way to some thing really robust and just plain scarey. :eek:

Okay, I read the DF2RSS page you have and if I get it, it's a csv conversion to rss. So, then do you just import the rss into the WP? Do you have a cron job on that? Me webmaster = Me lazy :D

I didn't find your WPDFI page ... can you give me the url and I'll go read it.

What you might consider is a comparison chart of WPDFI and DF2RSS ... features chart to help users of various levels figure out which they need.

Okay, so I said I'd go to a scarey place ... here's some thoughts...

What about a little app that can service multiple datafeeds(csv files) for multiple WP locations ... with an ability to define each ... like directing traffic, eh?! I think more affiliates would get into the datafeed side if it were easier to populate multiple sites.

In fact, in my world something that sucks in feeds of all types and can publish them to a variety of locations, and those locations in turn produce more feeds, that get sucked into a variety of locations ... I know, I know, they call that syndication. But, how cool would it be to just create the network and then, man it from a single command post.

Sure would give me more time for working on backlinks! :D A lot of us work on creating such a robust system, but at this point we're pieceing it together with various scripts to make it all work.

Hi Teli,

My bad :) ?. yes I am referring to plug-in?s. I develop allot in
Joomla (ex mambo) and hence the confusion reffering to modules.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Fahren...

As a matter of interest what kind of content do you want to
import, and where are you looking at getting your feeds from?

JustinHarrison said:
Fahren...

As a matter of interest what kind of content do you want to
import, and where are you looking at getting your feeds from?

still in the investigational stage. nothng set in concrete yet.

Hello again everyone,
Because I received quite a few PM's because of this thread, I've gone ahead and tentatively released the DF2RSS script to 5 star members. I created a new thread for it so we don't muck up this one with questions and such. :)

New thread: http://affiliate-marketing-forums.5staraffiliateprograms.com/showthread.php?p=8311

The affiliate programs not up yet, but I plan to get it online this weekend.

Bobbie and Fahren, I'll send you both a PM sometime tomorrow. Bobbie, I'll address your questions from this thread in this thread sometime tomorrow.

Now? Off to bed. LOL :)

~ Teli

MI
Back