The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

With or Without Cookies

affearner

affiliate
I've come across a site that offers only banner and coupon codes to their customers or affiliates, no cookies. Is this OK? Or Should I look for cookies?

You should definitely look for cookies, and the longer the duration the better.

Many online shoppers take up to a few weeks to make a purchase, so cookies are essential in ensuring that you receive commissions.

So are you saying that a store that doesn't have cookies aren't trustworthy If yes, then where should I report them? It's probably a scam!

How do you even know they don't have cookies? Have you talked to them?
Or are you just assuming because they don't state cookie length on their affiliate info page?

No lack of cookies does not mean the program is dishonest or a scam. Could be set up wrong or the company is clueless and needs to be educated. But whatever the reason cookie length is up to the merchant.

Yes longer cookies are better and yes pro-active, affiliate-friendly, well managed programs TEND to have long cookies but there is not a hard and fast rule. Most of out programs are at least 90 days and some go to 10 years or even "forever" but in reality we know most consumer cookies won't last forever, it's just that the tracking is set up to have no cookie expiration.

Cookie length also depends on the type of program. Many high paying lead based programs don't have cookies since there is no purchase and usually an immediate action. Amazon only has a one day cookie. That's not very generous, but that does not mean the Amazon affiliate program is "bad."

How do you even know they don't have cookies? Have you talked to them?
Or are you just assuming because they don't state cookie length on their affiliate info page?

Linda, the person I talked to really stated that they don't use cookies. I was actually assuming that they are using cookies.

Their set up was, if you're interested in one of their product banners or image links, you copy its code and post it in your site. They will then give you commission per sale. BUT THEY DONT' HAVE COOKIES. Is that possible? What I mean is, how will they track my sales? How will they track visitors?

They will then give you commission per sale. BUT THEY DONT' HAVE COOKIES. Is that possible? What I mean is, how will they track my sales? How will they track visitors?

It's possible. The customer can be tracked by IP address, or what's called a session. A session is the time period a visitor stays at the site and lasts until the browser (or tab for Firefox users) is closed. Once closed, the session ends and a new one will be started the next time they visit the website. Sessions can be likened to a self-destructing cookie -- it nukes itself once the visitor leaves the site and is never really saved to their computer.

This is detrimental to affiliates because a visitor may not make a purchase right away, however, when they go back to the site later, there's an increased chance the visitor will not click through on your affiliate link to make the purchase; the visitor will just go straight to the site.

Personally, unless it was the only or best merchant in that particular niche, I'd go with a program that offers cookie and IP tracking so you'll get credit for those customers who may not purchase right away. But, that's just me. :)

~ Teli

Thanks for the information Teli. It seems that this scheme is an advantage only to the merchant. As an affiliate or someone who is into affiliate marketing, I'll have to do away with this for now.

MI
Back