The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Why UKWW is using nofollow tag for signatures?

seonotes

affiliate
It's a surprise for me, if you notice that forum has imposed no follow tags on every signature link. Is this going to help the community any more?

This is not a community to help you boost your own sites rankings, its a community to discuss relevent matters.

So the nofollow should only matter to spammers and the like.

Actually if your post is excellent with lots of text (over I think 200 words) you will have do follow text. If your text only a few words then nofollow tag will be added.

I disagree with both of you, since community allow me freedom to speak, i will raise some questions :)

This is not a community to help you boost your own sites rankings, its a community to discuss relevent matters.

So the nofollow should only matter to spammers and the like.

1. Not all posters are spammers, one can easily identify a spammer and kick them out of board.

2. Those who are seeking help or those who are providing answers are spending their time on board. They share idea's and knowledge. They have full right to have a link in signature to promote their site.

3. Every one need to boost his/her site's rankings, some people chose to be a part of forum and provide valuable information, in return they should get reward in the shape of signature links and I see no harm in this.

Actually if your post is excellent with lots of text (over I think 200 words) you will have do follow text. If your text only a few words then nofollow tag will be added.

1. Temi, if I remember correctly there was a rule that post below 80 characters will have automatic nofollow tag.

2. People need precise answers and writing long stories will not help any one. :) These types of rules often provoke a user to write long stories and they become meaningless. This is not applicable to all discussions, some time people are really looking for detailed answers.

Thanks!

It still won't be changing, you are right you get links to your websites in your sig, and some of the forums users may visit your sites as a result.

You are also able to trade information and do business on the forum.

I fail to see why you have a right to be aided in your search rankings for making posts. Thats one step too far, and apears to be on the basis that you are suggesting you only post here in order to get link backs, that is a spammer.

seonotes,
We had a signature policy (http://forums.ukwebmasterworld.com/help-using-forum/6348-signature-link-policy.html) we have also addressed this issue in the past few years on several occasions. The consensus we reache then was that we should go somewhere in between allowing and not allowing dofollow so do follow for quality post over xyz characters and do not follow for anything shorter.

Anyway that was then when I own this forum, the new owner reserve the right to change the policy to what he likes.... as far as I can see he has not changed it so you still get dofollow link for quality, detailed post.

Thanks

I fail to see why you have a right to be aided in your search rankings for making posts. Thats one step too far, and apears to be on the basis that you are suggesting you only post here in order to get link backs, that is a spammer.

Thanks a lot for your nice words :) Now a days it's so easy to use word spammer to avoid meaningful discussion. I am off and no more following this topic.

Anyway that was then when I own this forum, the new owner reserve the right to change the policy to what he likes.

No longer owner? I guess I have not been here in a while.

I just made a similar change to my blog. I use to be dofollow on all of the comments. I still encourage the comments, but the nofollow kicks in after the third comment.

I like the idea of the dofollow after 200 words, but I think that might be a little long.

thats quite clever actually!

imho random signature links on a page about a random subject are of little Seo value and could harm this site in the long run.

I just made a similar change to my blog. I use to be dofollow on all of the comments. I still encourage the comments, but the nofollow kicks in after the third comment.

How do you do this? is it a plugin?, any chance of a link to it?

thinking its a tad cheeky to complain about no-follow's, after all why are you here? to advertise in a gracefully blended way or talk to like minded people...

personally i think its only right that sem forums should have no-follow's and wouldn't expect it otherwise really

Do Follow after 200 words

Hi Temi,

I think this rule of at least a certain number of words is a good idea - will make people at least start to interact in the community and not just pop in and disappear once they have a link.

A more detail question we are VB also - how did you set up this rule?

cheers

Stephanie

I'm happy to admit that part of the attraction of any given forum is if your signature is dofollow - I am more than happy to give advice to people, but it is part of my job to promote my company by posting relevant and useful information on forums where by my link being posted also I can benefit my company. It's less easy to justify spending time answering people's queries on this forum when there are other dofollow signature forums out there.

Personally, I think it's very shortsighted of individuals thinking all the time "SEO BENEFIT!" for links. Yes, SEO is important and link building is important, but it's not the be-all and end all.

I put links in my sigs, sure, be silly not to, I do post in forums with the aim of getting a better SEO benefit, however a lot of my websites are nowhere near the webmaster niche, so for me to place links to be followed on this forum would have very little SEO benefit - for me anyway (I am a strong believer in relevance over rank).

However, this forum gives me more (or did give me more - dropped off a bit because I've been so busy with my sites) through actuall business. Members of this forum submitted featured listings on my directories, or I carried out paid work. I did this by contributing and getting my face around, rather than taking all the time instead of giving, and not because of SEO benefit.

That's just my 2p's worth, long live UKWW :D

If there are too many cheats i.e. people that just take and don't give - the community will fold. The owner has to prevent cheating with rules.

Hi Temi,

not just pop in and disappear once they have a link.

Stephanie

All depends if the forum has something interesting to discuss. One cant blame members, if they choose to stay away if they find hard to discuss.

It's time admins must think on the other side of coin. it's members who make a break community. A supportive and positive attitude towards members helps forum to grow.

I fail to understand how many admins even try to share ideas or discuss with community about possible growth of the forum.

It's fairly easy to brand any one a link spammer, but it is hard to retain one and convert them into a quality member.

Remember not every one has enough time to join the discussion, people do join for fun. For admins it's a business and they have to stick to it, but for members it's more fun. this is my 2c :)

thinking its a tad cheeky to complain about no-follow's, after all why are you here? to advertise in a gracefully blended way or talk to like minded people...

personally i think its only right that sem forums should have no-follow's and wouldn't expect it otherwise really

it's not the complaint about no follow tags but it's question about attitude. who cares for no follow tag here. If i have a quality site I will have natural links any way without spending a dime.

It's about some people thinks about members who add links in signatures are spammers, and that's not a healthy discussion any way.

This forum has started 2 SEO contests, why adding a link to forum made essential? People may question why links to 2nd contest has been changed all of sudden?

A member to the forum is a contributor. People do spend lot of time reading and commenting to posts. This that means every one is looking to gain something out and they have to reciprocate to forum?

An understanding of visitor's psychology is more important running a forum. People need friendly atmosphere and they don't come here to be humiliated.

This is my personal view points, you may think other way ;)

banners
Back