The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

What's wrong with blogger.com?

Ali34

affiliate
Just wondering why some of you don't like to use blogger.com.

I have my own issues with it, but I think it's because I am still trying to figure it all out (may take a lifetime). Just wanted some feedback here.

Ali

I still absolutely use Blogger with some sites, not a rediculous amount but its a great platform to publish content with...all my blogger sites have rankings still. It still a great starting place to build niche blogs for affiliate offers and article publishing as well.

I love blogger..

It's what I used to make my first blog/site. It's great b/c if you know HTML you can do practically anything with it...;)

I don't think anyone has said there is anything wrong with Blogger.

What some people may have said as far as any negatives go, is that it's much better to have your own blog on your own domain, because then you own the content. Also when you have a blog hosted on Blogger or elsewhere, some change in the rules or glitch on their end could take your whole blog down and you loose everything.

Having said that, I think blogger is a great place to START. Just to test a market for free and to start to get a little traffic since search rankings will typically be much better on Blogger (or Squidoo or Hubpages) than they would on a brand new domain that had no links.

So I'd use Blogger as a stepping stone, then once I was certain it's a niche I wanted to pursue, I would start a blog on my own domain, keep some content on blogger and continue to add some articles, but link to the new blog on your own domain and then gradually transition over.

I agree blogger is a great place to start. But once I got comfortable with blogging, I decided to move to WordPress for some of the reasons suggested above. Another issue I hear blogger users complaining about is creating static pages. Correct me if I'm wrong but there isn't a simple way to do this with Blogger. I've heard the best way to do it is to create a new post and change the date to an older date so it doesn't show up in your "recent posts" and then link to it. With WordPress, creating static pages is pretty straightforward.

Plus WordPress has a bunch of cool little plugins you can add to make your blog more interactive and useful. But I agree Blogger is a good way to start.

I've created static pages on Blogger simply by starting a new blog. They frown on that, but I did it, and they haven't taken down my site yet. I agree that static pages are easier on Wordpress, though. The problem with Wordpress -vs- Blogger for me is that you can't use any affiliates on Wordpress, not even Adsense. I have a personal Wordpress blog, but it's strictly personal.

I may actually use my ISP provider space to start a blog. It's not a lot of space, but I can use it for current stuff and archive somewhere else.

Blogger is better, IMHO, if you use a custom template. You have to make yourself stand out on Blogger. If not, people will just pass your blog by, thinking "Oh, just another Blogger blog". There are so many free Blogger templates out there, why just stick with the stock stuff? I say this, even knowing that one of my e-courses is on Blogger on a stock template. *w*

The problem with Wordpress -vs- Blogger for me is that you can't use any affiliates on Wordpress, not even Adsense. I have a personal Wordpress blog, but it's strictly personal.

True, but if you host your WordPress blog on your own domain then you can add AdSense, affiliate links, etc. Using a web host that offers cpanel makes setting up a self hosted WordPress blog super easy.

The problem with Wordpress -vs- Blogger for me is that you can't use any affiliates on Wordpress, not even Adsense. I have a personal Wordpress blog, but it's strictly personal.
First, WordPress and WordPress.com are two different things. WordPress is the software you can download and install on your own hosting account; you can do whatever you like with it until your heart is content. WordPress.com is the hosted service provided by Automattic (i.e. a Blogger type of site).

You're correct that WordPress.com doesn't allow AdSense or other dynamic contextual advertising, however, their stringent policy on no affiliate links is becoming a little more relaxed as long as the primary purpose of your site is not for affiliate marketing.

See their recently added Types of Blogs page. More specifically, look under the Affiliate Marketing section for a clarification of what's not allowed.

Affiliate marketing blogs: Blogs with the primary purpose of driving traffic to affiliate programs and get-rich-quick schemes (”Make six figures from home!!”, “20 easy steps to top profits!!”, etc). To be clear, examples like people writing original book or movie reviews and linking them to Amazon, or people linking to their own products on Etsy do NOT fall into this category. (Emphasis added.)

Just thought I'd give everyone a head's up.

~ Teli

True, but if you host your WordPress blog on your own domain then you can add AdSense, affiliate links, etc. Using a web host that offers cpanel makes setting up a self hosted WordPress blog super easy.

Blogging is all new to me as is WordPress and I would like to host my own blog on my own domain.Does anyone know of any good tutorials on the subject that I can be directed to?Thanks.

Frank

This thread is nearly a year old, but in case anyone floats in searching for an answer, I'll just say that there are many tutorials for getting started with WordPress available online; if you're a complete beginner (haven't even installed WP yet), then I'd recommend stopping by the WordPress Codex or downloading my free WordPress Quick Start Guide.

If you need something a bit more tangible or blueprint style, then consider purchasing one of the WordPress for Dummies books from Amazon. There's also another one, but the name escapes me at the moment. Just do a search at Amazon for WordPress and I'm certain it will be in the first few results.

~ Teli

MI
Back