The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

What do you think of my contest idea?

DrMarie

affiliate
I have a pet-related site and I need to build some backlinks and traffic so I was thinking of creating a contest. I'd love your opinion.

The contest will be either "World's loudest cat contest" or "World's strangest sounding cat contest". People can post videos of their cats on youtube that I can embed into my site. Then people can come and vote for which one they think is best. (Of course I will have to put a disclaimer that any video that looks like the cat is being abused will be disqualified).

The way I see it, I will get traffic for people competing, but I will also get people linking to me so that their friends can vote for them.

I was thinking of making the prize a $20 gift certificate to one of my affiliate merchants.

So, here's what I'd love to hear from you guys (cause you are soooooo nice in helping!):
-Do you think the contest will attract traffic?
-Do you think $20 is enough to attract people?
-Can you see any additional ways that I can milk this contest to increase my SEO, traffic, backlinks, etc?

Any help would be appreciated! And, if you have a loud/strange sounding cat you are welcome to enter once the contest is up!

Dr. Marie

I think it's a great idea. You know how people love animal videos, so I'm sure you'd get some traffic. I don't know if $20 is enough, though. It should probably be higher if you can afford it...like $50, maybe?

You could request that people who enter have to put a link to your site in their "more info" area on YouTube. That would get you backlinks as well as give you a way to keep track of who posted a video specifically for your contest.

I think it's a GREAT idea.

My 1st thought though was, what would prevent people from just searching YouTube for someone else's video and posting it to try to win.

Laura's idea below would be one way to assure people were entering their own videos and you could list that as the reason a link has to be there in order to enter. THANKS Laura!

You could request that people who enter have to put a link to your site in their "more info" area on YouTube. That would get you backlinks as well as give you a way to keep track of who posted a video specifically for your contest.

It would be worth paying more if you could get a bunch of YouTube links out of the deal. ESPECIALLY if the links are do follow (not sure if they are). But even if they aren't, if the links are done right you could maybe get extra pet owner traffic from those YouTube Links.

This is pretty brilliant actually if played right! :)

assure people were entering their own videos and you could list that as the reason a link has to be there in order to enter.
Duh, I didn't even think of that reason! :)

I hope you do this because I can't wait to see (or hear) the videos.

Yay! Thanks. I think what I will do is instruct people how to put the video on youtube and tell them that they have to insert this code: "blah blah, a href=mysite..." in order to qualify.

I have a couple of ideas on how to offer better prizes...what do you think:
1. Contact my affiliate merchants and see if any of them would be willing to donate a gift certificate in exchange for prominant advertising including me mentioning their company first in my pet product reviews. (Am I allowed to contact merchants?)
2. Instead of a gift certificate give away a 30 minute consult with me (a veterinarian).

What do you think?

Bummer...just checked the source code on youtube and it looks like the links are nofollow. It'll still get me traffic though!

Most of the time, contests don't generate much other than very temporary traffic but I like this idea, if only for the "branding" value for your site and the possibility of "viral linking", i.e., blogs, pet forums, etc., linking to you because it would be of interest to their own visitors.

2. Instead of a gift certificate give away a 30 minute consult with me (a veterinarian).

I'm not sure the veterinary college wouldn't frown on that. I donated something to a silent auction last spring to benefit those with disabilities. One of my original ideas was X number of free psychotherapy sessions. But when I considered that, I nixed it because it might look to my regulatory college a little too much like fishing for new clients.

Thanks for the input minstrel. I am very careful to stay within the rules of my regulatory body! If I did offer the 30 minute conversation I would have to put a few disclaimers that I cannot diagnose their pet, prescribe medication, etc. I can give general advice (just like on my website), but that's it.

The more I am thinking about it...and polling people it looks like the cash prize will be the winner.

The contest to me, is a well planned one and I will applaud your creativity but lets face it, $20 is kinda weird the least should be around $100 if you are hoping to get people's attention.
Dont take my word, it was just an opinion.

OK...the contest is up now! Users can enter to see if they have the LOUDEST CAT.

Can you guys give me ideas on promoting my contest? I have posted on Digg, Facebook and Twitter. What else can you suggest?

MI
Back