The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Web Services design first pay later?

temi

affiliate
I got a logo design enquiry from my web design site today, after exchanging emails with the guy, he wanted us to design a logo for him first, if he likes it, he will the pay. I told him I do not know any web design or logo design company that work that way, do you?

It depends. I have paid first then recieved the design, whereas I know people have designed first then recieved the payment (including my design competition).

Where I work we generally design first in consultation with the client, and then pay (sometimes arrange some sort of pay with commission on online shops - that has proved VERY profitable for the company). It depends on the client and how much you trust them though.

I see your point, how I am sure this are people you know, for example the people who design first your logo first and get paid later knew you are unlikely to take the design and run, same with clients who you know, probably have their details on file or something that reassure you that they are genuine.

I don't think you will design first and get paid later for someone who just completed contact form from your website using hotmail address with no contact phone number.

I usually work 50% advance and 50% in the end.

If customer have solid idea about what he wants - he don't mind paying .

The people who is not sure what he is looking for will give you all kind of problems during the design process and than may not accept the end result.

I would suggest to discuss in all details what they are looking for and get some kind of advance.

The only people I don't ask for advance are returning customers - they know quality of work I do and I know they are good with payments without questioning the price...

I tend not to ask for advance from customers I know and have worked for in the past but first time customer need to pay in full if the project is under £200 and 50/50 if the project is over £500.

The guy that prompted this post wanted the logo design first, "if he likes it" liking something is pretty subjective.

I usually work 50% advance and 50% in the end.

If customer have solid idea about what he wants - he don't mind paying .

The people who is not sure what he is looking for will give you all kind of problems during the design process and than may not accept the end result.

I would suggest to discuss in all details what they are looking for and get some kind of advance.

The only people I don't ask for advance are returning customers - they know quality of work I do and I know they are good with payments without questioning the price...

DKs, this is a web customer, you are in Timis and he is in Oradea, is it worth setting up a meeting just for logo design?

I tend to base payment on the client. As a small business it is important for me to at least get my foot in the door. So alot of times, I would say..75% of the time I do advance work..simply because I know there are always going to be changes. And when the client starts asking for those changes, then I think it is time that we discuss payment.
In my market, especially being a chamber of commerce member in my community, I tend to "donate" alot of my time and materials for the overall advancement of my business. If I think a client is going to stick around for the long haul, I tend not to worry about payment. If I think that this is a one shot project, then I do ask for a downpayment of at least 25% of the total job.
In this line of work, as I am sure you guys will atest too, there are alot of big dreamers that want champagne style of work on a kool aid budget.
I always try to at least teleconference with a potential client, even if they are really far away. I feel that always ads an extra touch, Customer service is what makes them come back...:friends:

MI
Back