The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Want to know basics when choosing VPS or Dedicated hostings

alvin_raj

affiliate
Dear forum members, I only have experience hosting websites on shared accounts. Though I am bit familiar with DNS pointing, addon domains, resource specifications (CPU, RAM, Bandwidth, etc.). But i'm not familiar with VPS and the Dedicated hosting site offerings, I don't really know when to recommend those. My initial instinct is telling me that if the site's performance getting too slow on shared, its time for VPS. If its getting slow on VPS, then migrate to dedicated. I am quite sure that this a very irresponsible assumption , so...

Is there are some sort of a benchmarks or guidelines that can give me confidence in upgrading VPS or dedicated, and why it is right hosting.

You upgrade to VPS when you realize that the traffic on your site is larger and the performance of your site run slowdown

I would say if you are using shared hosting then you must move to vps hosting atleast.
If you have enough budget then go for cloud hosting or dedicated server hosting.
If you are still unsatisfied then go for cloud hosting. With cloud, you get variety of options like private,public,hybrid cloud server. Also, you can use managed & unmanaged hosting services with cPanel,plesk or whm.

A Virtual Private Server (VPS) is a virtual machine sold as a service by an Internethosting service. A VPS runs its own copy of an operating system (OS), and customers may have superuser-level access to that operating system instance, so they can install almost any software that runs on that OS.

where as a dedicated hosting is a hosting configuration in which a server is devoted to a single organisation or for a single purpose, such as a website. This is in contrast to shared hosting, in which a server acts as a host to multiple clients.

Shared hosting has very limited resources and is suitable for small websites.
If you truly believe your site requires more resources and is receiving a high volume of traffic that shared hosting cannot handle, then you should consider a VPS.
and I will suggest you choose dedicated hosting depend on your business needs. If you have an eCommerce site with a high volume of traffic and require a secure server, go with a dedicated server. Otherwise, VPS hosting will be sufficient for you..

MI
Back