The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Using bitly for an affiliate link

xploit

I am trying to use bitly for an affiliate link but when its clicked it gives me a warning.

The link is to sell Socialite Pro - a video course for teaching people to earn money through social media sites like Youtube, Instagram and Facebook, the affiliate link I have been given is http://jvz9.com/c/138589/112242 but by shortening it on bitly, it comes with an error saying link may not be safe. The bitly link I am using is this one: bit.ly/SocialitePro do you get the warning when you click it too or is it some setting on my computer?

Also, how do you track your affiliate link clicks? Voluum ? Would that not work with bitly?

Yes, the warning is there.
bit.ly and goo.gl don't like affiliate links.
If I am just tracking clicks I just the use pretty links wp plugin.

Idea just hit me, might be useless but I'll through it out there, register your own short domain like pls.io then on there short links this way it's yours and you control it and can install all kinds of tracking of your own??

Why use an url shorter service when you can run your own? YOURLS. It's what I use. I even hacked it to do server redirects on the fly with my PowerDNS database which is so much faster than PHP, javascript and meta redirects.

Why use an url shorter service when you can run your own? YOURLS. It's what I use. I even hacked it to do server redirects on the fly with my PowerDNS database which is so much faster than PHP, javascript and meta redirects.

How do you create your own? Do you use a script something?

What do you mean by 'hacked it do server redirects on the fly the PowerDNS database'

YOURLS is a URL shortener you can host on your own domain.

YOURLS: Your Own URL Shortener (1.7 version)
or
YOURLS/YOURLS · GitHub (latest working branch)

-----

Most server redirects are done the lazy way via server side scripting.

Example: PHP

The client browser requests a page. The php code is processed. The result is sent to you. Your browser does the redirect.

Example: Apache/NginX

The client browser requests a page. The url is rewritten via rewrite. The result is sent to you.

Example: DNS

You make the change one time. It's propagated internet wide and cached until flushed. That translates to less work for your webserver. The webserver that works least, not having to do additional work, is the webserver that works best.

-----
Addendum: That's kind of neat how xenforo pulls the text from the title html tag on the linked page. Cool.

banners
Back