The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “RollerAds”/

Tutorial: How to Setup Prosper202 on an Unmanaged VPS (Just $8/Month)

Freddy63

Affiliate Manager
Affiliate Manager
Service Manager
vpsfix
TJOSM Affiliates
I saw lots of threads popping up lately asking which hosting platform is better for Prosper202. There were many answers, but the conclusion was you need a VPS. Now VPS costs lots of money. A newbie with little knowledge of PPC or media buying definitely can’t afford a VPS. It’ll make your overall ROI really poor unless you started nailing it from the word go.

Honestly speaking, a VPS is very cheap. It’s cheaper than some shared hosting packages from big players in the industry. What’s expensive is MANAGED service these companies provide, which obviously isn’t rocket science. You can get a 512MB RAM VPS for $8 per month. And that’s all you’re going to need to host Prosper202 and all your landing pages. After my configurations, this $8 VPS can easily handle 50k hits per day. And I’m not joking.

Now I’m not good at math, but I’m trying to learn. Let’s say X sells Managed VPS for $50. But their cost for VPS is $8. You can see how much profit they make right? They make $44 each sale, every month. That’s so much money for doing very little.

I’m going to show you how you can save $44 from this month. May be you can spend it to buy more traffic. If you bid $0.05 on 7Search, that’s 864 clicks. Ok let’s cut the crap. Get a cheap unmanaged VPS at a low monthly fee. Pick Ubuntu 12.04 as OS. Read unmanaged VPS for p202 for my suggestions. Don’t buy cPanel or any of that shit. Just a VPS with Ubuntu. I’m gonna turn that empty box into an superfast webserver in next 20-30 minutes depending on how fast you can copy-paste. And if you’re planning to have WordPress blogs, go for 1GB RAM (AKA Memory).

Although this method is still working, I now use different method to setup Prosper202. I suggest you use it instead of this method. Click here for the tutorial (Or Hire me to do it).

VPS will be setup within few minutes. You’ll receive an email with information about your server. Once you received it, follow my connecting to a VPS tutorial to connect to it. Use Command Line Interface method. Next you’ll need to setup the server. I’m using Nginx (Engine X) as my webserver. Simply because it’s like, 10 times faster than Apache2. Apache is used on almost all shared hosting servers. Follow my instructions to setup Nginx, PHP, MySQL and APC on your VPS. Take your time, there no rush.

Hire me to install Prosper202 on your VPS for $5

Breaking to 2 parts, continued on next post.....

Last edited:
Re: Tutorial: How to Setup Prosper202 on an Unmanaged VPS (Just $8/Mon

Finally let’s install Prosper202 on your $8 server But let’s install zip first.

Code:
sudo apt-get install zip

Following bunch of codes will download Prosper202, extract to web directory and do some other stuff. Copy-paste into CLI, line by line. Replace example.com with your domain. You can use a subdomain if you want.

Code:
sudo mkdir -p /var/www/example.com/htdocs/ /var/www/example.com/logs/
cd /var/www/example.com/htdocs/
sudo wget -O prosper202.zip http://my.tracking202.com/clickserver/download/latest
sudo unzip prosper202.zip
sudo mv /var/www/example.com/htdocs/prosper202/* /var/www/example.com/htdocs
sudo rm prosper202.zip
sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/example.com/

Next, we need to create MySQL database. Following command will log you into MySQL
Code:
mysql -u root –p

You’ll be asked to enter MySQL root password which you created while installing MySQL according to my blog post. Then run following commands to setup MySQL database. Replace db_user to setup new MYSQL username, replace db_pass to setup new password for user and db_name to setup new database for p202.

Code:
grant all privileges on *.* to [B]db_user[/B]@localhost identified by "[B]db_pass[/B]";
create database [B]db_name[/B];
quit

Make a note of your new DB Name, DB Password and DB username as you’ll need it shortly. Now it’s time to configure webserver to support your domain. Following command will create a configuration file for your domain.

Code:
sudo nano /etc/nginx/sites-available/[B]example.com[/B]

Now paste following lot into CLI,

Code:
 server {
        server_name [B]example.com[/B] www.[B]example.com[/B];

access_log   /var/log/nginx/[B]example.com[/B].access.log;
    error_log    /var/log/nginx/[B]example.com[/B].error.log;

root /var/www/[B]example.com[/B]/htdocs;
        index index.php;

location / {
                try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php?$args;
        }

location ~ \.php$ {
                include fastcgi_params;
                fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock;
        }
}

Ctrl+X to close the file, you'll be asked if you want to save the file. Hitting Y will save changes and N will discard. Now let's link that file to active configurations

Code:
sudo ln -s /etc/nginx/sites-available/[B]example.com[/B] /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/

Let’s restart the server,

Code:
sudo service nginx reload

That’s it! We are done. Now open your domain in browser and we’ll be asked to create a configuration file. Do it and it’ll guide you through installation. You’ll be asked to enter database information at some point. Only enter the details you saved earlier. Mine was db_user, db_pass and db_name.

Hire me on to install Prosper202 on your VPS for $12

Setup a campaign and start driving traffic!

Last edited:

Good post, but what about updates? I thought the big thing about managed VPS hosts is that they make sure everything is up to date, so the vulnerability of your site is lower?

I mean you could pay someone to set it up for you, but after that you still need someone to look after it right? I could be wrong of course I know very little about this subject.

Hey kabouter,

No there's not much work after initial setup. You don't need to be an expert to update Prosper202. The process is exactly same as shared hosting. And if you want to software inside server following command will do it,

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

That's it. It's like Windows Update, it'll download and install all updates from Ubuntu servers. And I didn't cover security on this tutorial. The simplest way to tighten security and enable firewall is to use dome9. They offer rock solid protection against any attack. They have a free plan which is enough for most servers.

You don't have to check your server daily, or even weekly. It rarely needs attention. But you can't blame anyone if something went wrong someday. In that case, you can hire someone to fix it.

Thanks for the information but how did you solve the nginx bug : nginx: [emerg] bind() to [::]:80 failed (98: Address already in use) !!!!?

I tried all the solutions I could find online (commenting out the line , removing appache2 etc ) but nothing !!! nginx is installed but won't start and the local host won't show the welcome page this is a common bug

Great guide Freddy, $8 is quite cost effective.

Thanks for the information but how did you solve the nginx bug : nginx: [emerg] bind() to [::]:80 failed (98: Address already in use) !!!!?

I tried all the solutions I could find online (commenting out the line , removing appache2 etc ) but nothing !!! nginx is installed but won't start and the local host won't show the welcome page this is a common bug

Sorry timothy. I think this reply might be too late for you. I just saw your post. Hope this might help someone.

Although this bug is common, it doesn't come up on every setup. I remember going through this just once. This is actually pretty easy to fix. This is caused by line 'listen [::]:80 default_server;' in your Nginx config file (/etc/nginx/sites-available/default). Following instructions will fix the issue.

Open default nginx config file with text editor,
Code:
sudo nano /etc/nginx/sites-available/default

Look for following line within the file,
Code:
listen 80;
listen [::]:80 default_server;

Now add ipv6only=on after the [::]:80. Final code will look like this,

Code:
listen 80;
listen [::]:80 ipv6only=on default_server;

Save and Close file. That's it, restart nginx,
Code:
sudo service nginx restart

This will fix the problem. You might have gotten a faster response if you asked this on my blog ;)

i don't your understand sudo nano things :) but what is de advantage ? to get more clicking ??? ... sorry im really new ... i have sent your Pm thanks

i don't your understand sudo nano things :) but what is de advantage ? to get more clicking ??? ... sorry im really new ... i have sent your Pm thanks

Sorry man. I don't get what you're trying to say

Good tutorial. Thanck you. I still have an issue. I bought a new domain and I got a VPS. i tried to apply your instructions but I did not succed because I need to know other settings: how to make the server to point to IP and to install the DNS. Can you help me?

How much would you charge to record all the installation process? I know I can follow your instructions, but I would rather focus on making profitable campaigns.

I followed your instructions from start to finish but I still couldn't get it to work. I bought an Interserver VPS and followed all your instructions step by step but it still says "The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet."

I followed your instructions from start to finish but I still couldn't get it to work. I bought an Interserver VPS and followed all your instructions step by step but it still says "The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet."

Sorry to hear that. You should wipe your server and start fresh. Let me know if it still fails.

Great tutorial but I am stuck at this stage, enter command: sudo nano /etc/nginx/sites-available/mydomain.com
I get....... sudo: nano: command not found
Up until then all was going well! Any ideas where I went wrong guys?:( (I replaced "mydomain.com"with actual domain)

Great tutorial but I am stuck at this stage, enter command: sudo nano /etc/nginx/sites-available/mydomain.com
I get....... sudo: nano: command not found
Up until then all was going well! Any ideas where I went wrong guys?:( (I replaced "mydomain.com"with actual domain)
UPDATE!
I fixed that by installing nano...but now have a new problem
Enter server IP into browser and I get Nginx dashboard
Enter server name (server.xxx.com) and I get bad gateway not Prosper set up page.
Sure I will crack it eventually...any thoughts guys?

MI
Back