The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

The webbuilder I'm using doesn't support datafeeds - Help!

itsalluphl

affiliate
Hi group,

I hired a consultant to help me start my affiliate marketing business. Along with their services, they provide you with a webbuilding tool which came with templates and an Easy Editor. I'm not an html or javascript programmer so this appealed to me. Now that I'm about 90% complete with me design, I find out they don't support data feed integrations that require access to their database. This is distressing as my site promotes pet products and several of the merchants I represent (which I found through affiliate networks) provide data feeds which are generally either .csv or .xml file formats.

The tech support team tells me the only affiliate software they'll accommodate is javascript. I invested a lot of money with this consultant (mistake in hindsight) but don't want to have to start again with a new web builder tool since they protect their code and I can't port it to a new platform. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Luba :eek:

Hi Luba,

There are several datafeed solutions some of which use javascript. One of the best is PopShops. PopShops FAQ See that FAQ they offer java. Most merchants on the big networks are available through Popshops.

The solution you've chosen is very limited though if it will only displays javascript. You know the search engines can't read or index java, right?
That's really a tough way to start.

I'm concerned that you are starting off with a very limited solution that's really not conducive to affiliate marketing. Seems like you are already crippled before you even get started. If I were you I would think about cutting bait and switching before you invest any more time or money.

Not saying you SHOULD, I don't have enough info to suggest that, I'm just saying you may want to stop and evaluate things.

My webbuilder doesn't support product feeds

Thanks Linda,

I had a feeling that's the direction I'd have to take. I'll need to figure out how I might still be able to recoup my investment but that's a lower priority. Since I've already designed most of my site and can't port it I'll have to start again with a new tool. I was looking at using Site Build It. The reviews I've read look real promising and wondered if you have any feedback on it. I'm looking for something that will be quick since I already have quite a few merchants already linked into my site.

Luba

Lots of affiliates like SiteBuildIt BUT I feel bad now. I don't want to tell you to throw in the towel. Just stop and weigh your options before you get in any deeper.

If you decide to move to another solution, even though they tell you they can't port your site over to a different platform, can't you at least copy the text? Can you try to do a "save a page as" and at least pull the HTML to use elsewhere?

Hi Luba,
Not sure if this is an option, but here is an idea I just thought of.

Why dont you go ahead and get your site completed, since you have already paid the money, and use it as a standard site, and utilise the features it does have. Then, create a subdomain, such as www.shop.mydomain.com or www.feed.mydomain.com, and use the software that Linda suggested for datafeeds?
You can template this to look like your main website. This way you can use your main site to write articles, take site registrations, write a blog etc, and then use your subdomain to create a feed that you direct all your users to.

It is just an idea, but I think it might be a bit better than throwing your whole investment away!

Your other alternative ofcoarse is to find another system that does this all for you, which would require a whole new investment.

Hope that helps a little!

Cheers

My webbuilder doesn't support product feeds

Thanks Linda and Larwee for the valuable information and supportive responses. Larwee your suggestion sounds promising so I'm resuming my optimism that this puppy could be saved. The only hesitation I have is that in selecting a niche market, I went with my first passion which is animal products / welfare and am a little reluctant to have this particular site remain in the hands of this web hosting service. Since I've already paid them money up front, there's nothing preempting me from deciding on a different market niche to use their services for and I'm free to build multiple sites with them.

I tried doing a "save as" and it seems the only thing I can save are graphics -- aargh! The system does have an HTML editor so I might consider hiring an HTML programmer to see if they can figure something out (if I decide to transport this to another tool).

Thanks again,
Luba

MI
Back