The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

The perfect meta tags

temi

affiliate
What do you think a perfect meta tag should contains, I do not mean the actual contents but the files for example, I think this are the three most important requirements

Title:
Description:
keywords:

There is often debate as to whether other like follow, cache etc are relevant.
What do you think?

You must have a DTD, title tag, ideally description tag also KW is ok for smaller directories, but IMO is more worry than worth, as to do it properly you need a different set for each page.

Additionally i would mention the importance of the meta language tag which can help the geo targetting.

There are some factors which are involved in calculating the relevance for the different geo locations. The language meta tag is one of them.
HTML:
meta http-equiv=”language” content=”country code"
You can select the suitable language code at this page.

So are we saying this is what the perfect meta tag look like?

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Language" Content="en">
<title>UK WW - Perfect Meta Tags</title>
<meta name="description" content="This is what a perfect meta tag contain.">
<meta name="keywords" content="UK WW, perfect meta tags, testing, temi.">
<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="favicon.ico">
<link href="perfectmetatags.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
<style type="text/css"> (if your site use CSS)

Here are my suggestions Temi.

<title>Minimal Keywords | No ands | Don't repeat.</title>
<meta name="description" content="repeat your keywords, but make the sentence logical for a human read">
<meta name="keywords" content="simply, group, of keywords, separated by commas, again use keywords from title and description">

Over all: Don't stuff tags with keywords. :seal:

I find it very confusing as to what really makes good meta tags.

Here`s an example of what I found at one site which offers to create tags.
Site Description:

Site Keywords: Separated with commas.

Refresh this page after: seconds.

What should robots do?

Copyright Line:

Author:

Generator:

Language:

Search engine should revisit this page after:

Yet, most of these `creators` only ask for Title, Description, Author, and Keywords, and maybe `Search engine should revisit this page after: `

So, is it really that important to have such things as -

Refresh this page after: seconds.

Copyright Line:

Generator:

Language:

I think the above may be a bit out dated especially the search engine revisit one, that has now been superseded by xml site map where you can state the frequency of with which search engines should revisit.

Well I revived this thread because I am writing a page on meta tags, does anyone have contributions to make on how to create a perfect meta tag or just dos and don't of crating a good meta tag for a site/page ?

Yes I would like to contribute with some details :

- meta name="revisit-after" content="x days" has 0 value
- it seems that meta description also has no importance. I have posted something on this thread, you can find more details here if you are interested. I would like to run that test, so if anyone else would also like to run it, please let me know. This way we can compare our results.

Temi, please read how to have this test on that page ( url is on my previous post ). The solution (was proposed by Cristian Mezei ) would be to create two pages ( maybe blog pages ) where to have certain strings in the meta description. On the next step add some content on the page and as soon as indexed to search for the specific string set in the meta description to see the results.

I think I can send you more details via email.

Mihai,
I am sure I can read the test on your site. I just want the test here as well so that someone reading this can get the complete picture without the need to visit any other site.
Also the details you want to send to me, why not post it here so that we can have an open test and also post out results to this page when we have it :)

Okay,
Most of the details are already posted. Blog pages are not good for this test because its too difficult to manipulate metas for them. So basic HTML pages. I will create two pages, I will see what kind of content to add on the pages, but it must be similar. I will create meta desc. for each page, and will add a string ( not present in the content ) in the meta description. I will place a link for each page on one or two other pages already indexed in the same area, one near the other and wait for the results.

I guess that should be all for the moment.

Well, lets update this thread with some other informations. I have created two test pages, I have linked them both from my site, I will link them from here too, hoping these pages will be indexed fast. If Temi would like to help even more, maybe he can also post about this test on his blog or on any other pages he can ( but please see my example ). So here we go, we have page1 and page2

Sorry for the content of the pages but its in Romanian ( it was easy for me to create them ). You can see in the meta completetly different strings. On page2 you can see a string that is also present on the content. That would be about all for the moment.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,
Dks.

Another short update. Pages have been translated in english ( files are now at Temi ) the string in the meta description are still the same. For more details, I am waiting Temi's post.

PS: Just signed my 400th post :)

banners
Back