The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

The Importance of Proper Copy Editing

digiexpress

affiliate
Most writers are not aware that it takes longer to edit than it does to write. They think editors just whip through a dozen pages in minutes, and it’s ready to go. Actually, proper copy editing takes a great deal of time and is actually worth more than copy writing.

A good copywriter will edit the copy over and over, because they know that copy editing is the key to their writing presenting its very best. This is even more so, when it is a book or e-book that has been written. Editing is an integral part of your writing.

* It will fine tune the copy to ensure it is easy to read, and comprehend.
* It ensures a consistent voice throughout the writing.
* It ensures the information is presented in the best format possible.
* It fixes punctuation, grammar, etc. so that the writing looks professional.

When it comes to editing there are a number of steps – let’s have a look at them.

Step #1 - Time to Get Critical
How well does the writing flow? What’s the foundation? How well does the writer’s idea shape up in Chapter One, and does it continue to properly flow from there? How well does it conclude? You must analyze the writing and then make necessary changes.

Step #2 – Edit the Entire Book
Now that you have completed the analysis you know what needs to be done to fix the weak spots, so that’s where you go next. You should read the content aloud so that you ensure the words make sense when spoken aloud. It’s a good idea to turn tracking on so you can see what changes are being made.

Step #3 – Stop Once and Repeat Again
You are actually going to do this step a few times. You’ll edit, then walk away from your project and come back and edit it again. You will repeat until you have corrected everything that needs to be corrected.

Step #4 – Grammar and Spelling
Now you are going to become concerned with the grammar and spelling, giving the material a once over, and then repeating as often as necessary to catch all the little mistakes.

Step #5 – Inject a Voice
Once the editorial flow is good, you need to start to pay attention to the writing tone and the style. Read it again and pay attention that things are being said “the right way” and that the same energy flows from start to finish.

Step #6 – Format the Text
This is very important – it includes headings, font, font size, etc. to ensure the writing format is uniform from start to finish.

Step #7 – The Final Review
This is it – the last critique. Make sure you have your critical eye working. You should actually have left the material sit for a couple of days before you take on this final step. Your objective is perfection!

Most writers are not aware that it takes longer to edit than it does to write.

Oh, I am! I despise editing, even of my own stuff. Actually, I think you'd call what I do, proofreading. And I'm definitely not a pro editor. My hat's off to the pros, I wouldn't want their job.

Actually, proper copy editing takes a great deal of time and is actually worth more than copy writing.

Both writing and editing can take a great deal of time. Is one worth more than other? Not sure that I'd say that but I think it depends on the quality of the writing. :D Good editing can make a writer's work worth more, that's for sure.

A good copywriter will edit the copy over and over, because they know that copy editing is the key to their writing presenting its very best.

Which is why they are worth the money, in my opinion. You can have the best idea/story/essay/script/etc. in the world but if it has bad flow or grammar, it loses a great deal of reader trust and interest. A polished version makes such a difference.

you can hire professional editing service

That sounds way easier. :D

However, some people want full control over their work, or can't afford the cost of a professional. That's where this thread will come in very handy. Besides that, it's always good to have at least a basic understanding of how this all works, so you'll know if your work is being edited properly.

You want to aim for 8th grade level readability when dealing with the general public

Standards have fallen, used to be 10th grade level. Sad.

Talk to your customer -- don't talk down to him or above his understanding level

Exactly! Doesn't matter what level they're at, you want to connect with them, as best you can. That means, you need to be able to 'speak their language'.

While it's always crucial to hire a professional editor to review every line in your book, as well as one to evaluate the story itself, you should also take it upon yourself to learn the basics of copyediting your own work.Copyediting is an extremely valuable skill that covers many different aspects of language.Thank you

Great tips!

You should actually have left the material sit for a couple of days before you take on this final step. Your objective is perfection!

This may sound silly at first, but it really works. I used to do this whenever I had the chance and it really made a difference, even if it was just a few hours away from the screen. There's always something you can oversee at first edit.
Give your brain some time to rest and it will definitely pay back.

Great tips!

This may sound silly at first, but it really works. I used to do this whenever I had the chance and it really made a difference, even if it was just a few hours away from the screen. There's always something you can oversee at first edit.
Give your brain some time to rest and it will definitely pay back.

You're right. Even then sometimes, your brain sees what it wants versus what's really there.

A good copy can make a huge difference.
It can attract people like anything.

You know why?

Because when you're Digital, all you see are WORDS.
There is nothing like verbal communication here.

We all are sitting on our computers and using WORDS to take any decision.

So you can understand how crucial this thing is.

One tiny mistake can it all fall apart, especially when you are working with a more or less respectable brand. Thank you for summing it all up.

MI
Back