The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “RollerAds”/

The Google Algorithm

surreypcsupport

affiliate
Guys,

I thought it would be useful to start a thread to discuss what we know about the contents of the current Google algorithm. Much of the information I have found about it is now somewhat out of date and I hope this thread may throw up some gems.

Here's what I know so far:

What factors are used by the Algorithm?

I know the following factors have an effect on a sites Google score:

Keyword Related Factors: (I suspect this is the most important factor in the algorithm)

Keywords in Title, Description, page content and domain name. Also keywords in internal links pointing to the page in question.

Domain Related Factors:

Age of domain, strength of pages containing in-bound links to the page in question, relevance of subjects covered by pages with inbound links.

Inbound Links: (We know Google places a lot of weight on these factors)

Age of links, strength of domain containing links, anchor text keywords

Historical Data:

CTR from SERPS to website for keyword searches, bounce rates, time on page/in site, quantity of search requests for the domain, level of visits to domain. Google collect some of this data from SERPs pages and some from Google Analytics for sites that have it. I believe this is the case anyway.

Content Quality:

Google may well use tools to analyse readability, uniqueness, layout and variety of content.

Manual Penalties and Boosts:

Google can add manual penalties and boosts if they wish although I suspect this will only happen for sites in the top few SERPs postions for popular keyword searches.

I know there are other factors such as technical quality but I think these are the main points covered. Comments welcomed. :)

btw - if anyone has any practical suggestions about ways to manipulate these factors I would be very pleased to hear from you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surreypcsupport,

It's not that no one is finding it useful... it's just a hard topic to discuss so holistically. There are many things we know but we don't no the specifics of it - and considering how many programmers are involved in the algorithm you can pretty much say no one really knows it.

This is why we focus on specific things that Google likes... i.e. backlinks.

Its a bit of a worry that people start obsessing over figuring out the algorithm too, instead of making sure that their site content is up to par.

nice post though, I found it useful and I'm sure many newbies and not such newbies will too.

I know Rand Fishkin posted something on SEOmoz about the algorithm too a while ago...

Google changing algorithm completely

I read somewhere in seo forum (not in this forum ) that google is going to change its algorithm completely in 2009.

It will have lot of new policies.Is it true?

Its a bit of a worry that people start obsessing over figuring out the algorithm too, instead of making sure that their site content is up to par.

nice post though, I found it useful and I'm sure many newbies and not such newbies will too.

I know Rand Fishkin posted something on SEOmoz about the algorithm too a while ago...

Indeed bro... Google is totally unpredictable. No one knows, maybe the least the you did was the best factor you should have done.

I believe the change has started already. I'm seeing less dependance on links, which means there's more emphasis on other factors. What those factors are is up for speculation, but could include user vote behaviour (clicks on SERPS, social media tagging, etc) which has been rumoured for quite a while now.

btw - if anyone has any practical suggestions about ways to manipulate these factors I would be very pleased to hear from you.

WHAT?

Manipulating those factors in order to gain better ranking would be against
Google's TOS and Google's Webmaster Guidelines!!!

OMG!

That is BLACKHAT SEO and I am surprised that you did not get flamed for that in this whitehat forum.

:applause:

Jk with you dude.

Look, I did whitehat SEO for my first three years and I earned pennies.

Out of complete frustration, I started learning about blackhat seo over at
syndk8. They use whatever works (if legal). Stupid shit like hiding text
with background color does not work.

You have to know the rules; (the real rules behind the propaganda).

Once you know those, you rank and rank and rank.

But don't share with others because they will accuse you of being a
sleeze and a cheater.

:D

Bompa
pm's are welcome.

MI
Back