The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

The acai colon cleanse hearing

hoover1

affiliate
the FTC hearing was monday the 16th. cant find news report on any ruling? are they all as bad as i think to be tied into? or just one/two? i have one set as part of an auto responder series. thanks

Hi, hoover

I blogged about this pre-hearing and then saw several stories afterwards and I think some included a ruling. I'll try to find one to link to.

As someone who works professionally in the health field, I'm pleased to see the FTC taking this kind of action. While there may be some nutritional benefits offered by the acai berry, the exaggerated claims are disturbing and potentially harmful.

As for colon cleansing, it is apparent that not only are there absolutely no health benefits of ANY form of colon cleansing but the practice can also be harmful, partly by destroying bacteria necessary for the the digestive system to function normally and partly by irritating the bowel and very likely exacerbating symptoms of IBS and related conditions.

All good points David! That's one of my concerns too.

There are 3 main issues the FTC has a problem with and rightfully so.

1) False Medical Claims

2) Free Trial billing scams

3) Fake endorsements by Oprah and others

I don't know if anyone remembers but exactly a year ago I blogged about:
<a href="http://affiliate-blogs.5staraffiliateprograms.com/3560/oprah-and-attorney-general-acai-affiliates.html">Oprah and Attorney General Sue Affiliates Over Acai and other Rebill Offers</a>

Oprah and her attorneys went after a ton of companies and this is partially an extension of that case I think.

PDF and court docs from Oprah's representatives.
http://www.ftc.gov/os/caselist/1023028/100816centralcoastdeclarationdouglas.pdf

I am really surprised that the FDA has not stepped in also on this matter. The problem with them going after affiliates is that a lot of them are from overseas, and they will be out of the reach of conventional enforcement.

MI
Back