The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “RollerAds”/

Temporal Link Analysis

Microsoft are taking this seriously, they have a 'newness' slider on their beta testing search thing (not sure if it is still there though) you can slide the bar to adjust the weight for newness.

The main problem with this is that it is oh so easy to spam. you just have to create a set of pages with a certain set of pages automatically, and bobs your uncle.

" they have a 'newness' slider on their beta testing search thing"

Thanks OWG. Where did you get this information?

I was told by a reliable source lol

On a different note, here is the beta msn.co.uk search engine

http://beta.search.msn.co.uk/

Interesing thing to note here is that for this uk search, (but not restricted to the uk) http://beta.search.msn.co.uk/results.aspx?q=web+design+wales&FORM=QBHP

See how our web design wales site has rocketed to the top from second page or deeper. from the equivalent MSn search on .com

Look at just how the sites have moved around comparing them to this .com search
http://beta.search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=web+design+wales&first=1&count=30&FORM=PDRE

MSN have always loaded the results in favour of UK sites on a world search at msn.co.uk . Looks like they really have put a lot of weight into this in the new algo. I would say that server location and inbound links from uk sites are going to play a big part in the ranking algo regionally. (at least this is what the tests seem to show)

It is Chicago SES this week so many of my mates are there. they are also grilling Matt Cutts (Google engineer who created Froogle) for all the inside info they can get lol

Make sure that get all the dirt on him. :lol:

I dont actually think the slider feature of MSNs search will be very used, most people wont bother with it.

It is good if you are researching stuff, and you don't want to see stuff that has not been chnged since you last looked.

OWG,

Any word on the MSN/Yahoo debacle through your reliable sources?

Come on, I won't tell :wink:

Thanks

Paul <---Begger

Old Welsh Guy said:
Microsoft are taking this seriously, they have a 'newness' slider on their beta testing search thing (not sure if it is still there though) you can slide the bar to adjust the weight for newness.

The main problem with this is that it is oh so easy to spam. you just have to create a set of pages with a certain set of pages automatically, and bobs your uncle.

Some of my testing shows that the header last modified info is used by google in determining the freshness of the page,
combined with checking the actual on page content for updates via includes this is a crude but somewhat accurate way of assigning the newness of a page.
mainly because the only way to change the header last modified info is to actually manually modify the page, or perhaps use Cron Jobs to backup and restore the site regularly, however thats a bit to much effort on the server for my taste.

banners
Back