The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Teespring sued for Trademark infringement.

Skreened lost a suit to Ohio State a few months back, but the damage value hasn't been handed down yet. The task of policing in this volume is nearly fiscally impossible. It's going to be a slam dunk for the University's suit against TeeSpring because it so closely mirrors the suit against Skreened. What amazes me is the irreverence on behalf of the printing companies. Both companies new a suit would come their way if they didn't find a way to stop the abuse internally. They both have had multiple warnings and probably some sort of cease and desist. In my opinion, they had some feelings of invulnerability that fell flat and now both of them run the risk of being stripped financially. Skreened did $20MM Gross last year, I don't know what TeeSprings volume may be, but I'll bet that the plaintiffs are seeking amounts greater than the either company can survive.

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times, you CANNOT use someone else's logo, tagline or slogan. Sheesh.

I think Ohio State has full recourse for this. I'm not a lawyer but if they own the trademarks, then violators have stolen them. Pure and simple. I don't know if Ohio would be agreeable to it, but maybe they could negotiate a royalty/licensing agreement in lieu of suing.

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times, you CANNOT use someone else's logo, tagline or slogan. Sheesh.

Recently I designed a Tshirt that Says, "I Love JB" ( My target was Justin Beiber)
I spent $14 made 4 to 5 sales and then suddenly my campaign was closed and I received an email saying that A copyright was claimed on my Campaign :confused:
I really dont understand, how can this trigger a copyright Issue ??

Recently I designed a Tshirt that Says, "I Love JB" ( My target was Justin Beiber)
I spent $14 made 4 to 5 sales and then suddenly my campaign was closed and I received an email saying that A copyright was claimed on my Campaign :confused:
I really dont understand, how can this trigger a copyright Issue ??

Really? You didn't even say Justin Bieber, just JB?? Were you using any photos of Justin Bieber in your promotions at all, outside of the shirt design. That's pretty bad !

I guess an approval wouldn't be too bad though, as long as there wasn't a long wait to get campaigns approved and live.

Really? You didn't even say Justin Bieber, just JB?? Were you using any photos of Justin Bieber in your promotions at all, outside of the shirt design. That's pretty bad !

I guess an approval wouldn't be too bad though, as long as there wasn't a long wait to get campaigns approved and live.

NO, I Tweet with a hashtag on Twitter and Put ads on FB..

But on the Description I did Say and dedicated the shirt to Justin Beibers Fan's..

NO, I Tweet with a hashtag on Twitter and Put ads on FB..

But on the Description I did Say and dedicated the shirt to Justin Beibers Fan's..

Oopsy. That's what did it. You put the association of Justin Beiber to your shirts in the customer's minds. Celebs and brands don't like that sort of thing.

Oopsy. That's what did it. You put the association of Justin Beiber to your shirts in the customer's minds. Celebs and brands don't like that sort of thing.

Yeah, could have been the flag. Pretty weak. Certain topics are definitely more touchy than others.

hopefully teespring adds an approval feature. Its a pain in the pass to promote a tee and then have it taken down for copyright

Never really been into t-shirt design as the copyright side of things has always worried me - will possibly look into creating a store of some original designs though, but if inspiration has come from elsewhere would i risk copyright by crediting them for the inspiration?

Never really been into t-shirt design as the copyright side of things has always worried me - will possibly look into creating a store of some original designs though, but if inspiration has come from elsewhere would i risk copyright by crediting them for the inspiration?

Just crediting them for the inspiration doesn't protect from copyright violation. As long as your design and verbiage do not too closely resemble or cause an assumed association with an existing trademarked brand, you'll be okay. Offer (and maybe trademark?) your own original designs.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, plus I am Canadian. Anything I say about copyright infringement, is just what I know from working with custom logo reproduction in Canada.

MI
Back