The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Submission rejection

gkd_uk

Hi

I probably rejected around 500 submissions yesterday. I recieved an email from one submitter this morning as follows:

"No problem, your link has been deleted from my directory also"

Firstly he submitted his site to the wrong category and even though it states 5 words in title only, he typed a sentence. Secondly, he had a site that was not a quality site (Some site about making money, or something like that).

I don't think he even has a directory but :gives:

It was one of the worst submissions I had seen. Everything about it was WRONG.

Has anyone else had emails like this?

I used to, but what I have done now is that I only send accepted message, I don't send rejection messages any more :)

Good idea Temi :)

That way, everyone is happy - :tongue:

I send a rejection email so I can give the submitter another chance.

I currently have over 4,000 submissions approved in my directory and it is the first time I have had an email stating that my link has been deleted :) (It's quite funny)

I have another 400 submissions to approve (hopefully approve and not reject), so better get back to work :)

Thanks

Some submitters think we are here to approve only and want to build directories so they grow.

Not for me though, If I had approved all my submissions and not rejected any, I would have had atleast 6,000 listed by now.

What annoys me most is the people who link back to you from a page crammed with all sort of rubbish links on a page that does not have a link to it from any other parts of the sites and expect you to approve their links.
I don't actually bother getting into corresponded with free submission customers any more.

Like OWG once said, they can have a full refund, so I just give full refund of what they paid so no need to exchange emails :)

I agree, I have some giving me a link from a page crammed full of other web directories. Some give good link backs from their homepage.

I don't mind accepting these though as atleast they have made the effort to link back and not go for a totally free submission

I used to, but what I have done now is that I only send accepted message, I don't send rejection messages any more :)
I agree with Temi on this one. I also don't send rejection message only the accepted email. Its upto the submitter to get it right, you don't owe them anything so why should they be allowed to give you abuse.

I also hate those sites that link back from pages with millions of links. GKD most of these have not made an effort to link back a lot of them come from directory submission scripts that setup your link in a overloaded page often not even linked from the homepage.

Thanks mrcrowley :)

I have rejected lots of submissions and never had anyone complaining but those people have resubmitted correctly.

One guy this morning complains because I have rejected his site. If he really does own a directory, he should know how to submit to one.

When I first started my directory, I was happy to edit listings to make them fit, but when you start to receive hundreds, it's not easy :(

I don't enjoy rejecting, it's just that I have no other choice. :(

I will edit reciprocal listings to fit in the correct directory or paid listings but I recieve to many free ones.

Hopefully when I switch off free submissions at the next update, all should be ok :)

How is it going with your directory, I see you are accepting paid submissions now?

Thanks

GKD you are a very considerate guy. It's good that you review your submissions so thoroughly i'm sure this will be to everyones benifit submitters and browsers.

Don't be disheartened by one guy complaining. You have made your case well and hopefully he's learned his lesson :)

As a submitter the only time i sent an email was one time i knew i had completely read the submission guidelines and abided by them, but still got rejected.

Yep i decided to charge a small fee for submission to my directory, reasons are, i want people to submit who are really serious to promote their site and also i've put quite a lot into it (Its all a learning curve). Promotion, Mods of which are major and minor changes.

Just as we were talking about places you get link back from, a submission arrived and som bloody idiot placed a link to my site on this page and expects me to approve his link:
money-making-home-jobs.com/Myfolder1/partners.php?page=1 . The question with this url is not what is wrong with it but what is righ with it.

It seems he has the whole worlds directories listed there.

He may start to advertise it as a list of directories soon. :)

money-making-home-jobs.com/Myfolder1/partners.php?page=1 . The question with this url is not what is wrong with it but what is righ with it.
This is a classic example of a directory submission script. Look at the footer...

Created with the help of Directory Submitter

Some directory submission are very clever, they theme the links, do not exceed about 20 links per page, this idiotic one has over 700 links! on one page

GKD,
I think you should leave the free submission option at your web directory, it give you something to laugh at when you are bored, that is what I do anyway.
i go to my free directories when I am bored or someone pay for a featured link. Every once in about 3-4 months someone usually pay for a featured link at the free directories :)

I agree, submissions can be boring but I do have a laugh when I access some sites.

I'm not sure about leaving it free - I am currently in 2 minds. I could leave it free and setup Z Web Directory as a paid directory. Would like to check what PR I get for this site first.

I think I should implement this as well. I currently send rejection email. I want to keep also the junk ubmitters know that they are not welcome.

On the otherhand what a waste of bandwidth. :sEm_oops:

I think I should implement this as well. I currently send rejection email. I want to keep also the junk ubmitters know that they are not welcome.

On the otherhand what a waste of bandwidth. :sEm_oops:

Quite agree with you about sending message to spammer....... I have not seen the spammer from Lemmi find recently, I will like to think all the rejection messages from me and other contribute to letting him know that spamming directories does not pay

I have a niche search engine on my site which caters for the free listing of web sites in North Wales. You will be amazed how many people submit for a free entry (or perhaps not so amazed) offering sites from the west Midlands, India, Spain and more. In the past I have always written back to a failed submitter explaining why their submission failed, and offering them the alternative of 'paid for' advertising on my site, but as you might guess, they don't reply. Instead they just keep on submitting inappropriate sites. I replied back to one webmaster on four separate occasions over four inappropriate sites he's submitted. He took no notice of any of those advisory replies and carried on submitting. It would seem that, although the webmaster was keen to submit his site(s), he wasn't so keen to communicate about the issues. Why do they bother!!!! and these are a professional outfit, allegedly.

He's still submitting sites that fail and I have now adopted the same policy as others in this thread. If it's a free listing and they don't measure up, I no longer take the time and effort to reply, simply because it has proven to be a waste of energy, time and resources. I do however have the option of banning their IP from future submissions. I'm hovering over the tick box right now... grrrrrr. I hate banning people but what can you do.

MI
Back