The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Start an affiliate program - Build Own Tracking or Buy Affiliate Software

dc dalton

affiliate
OK, I am COMPLETELY new to this! We want to start an affiliate program for one of our sites. We have everything 'squared away' but there is a question that keeps popping up.

Do most sites have their own affiliate tracking software?

This is no big deal as we could build it in a few days but we kept thinking "How do people know they can trust our tracking software". Not that we have ANY intention of messing around but things being as they are on the internet these days I have to think most people are skeptical.

When I think about it I have a ton of affiliate things I use on different sites and me, being the trusting soul I am, never really thought about it before. Now that I am thinking of becoming the 'merchant' the thought pops up?

Any help, advise or words of wisdom would be very much appreciated!

Hi dc dalton,

You are right about the trust issue. Most affiliates that have been around have been burned, sometimes even by honest, well meaning merchants, that just didn't set tracking up right.

PLUS you could never design your own tracking solution that would work as well as the programs that have been out there for years, tested by thousands of affiliates and improved over time. Additionally smart affiliates value their time. If they have to log into a program that has a different layout, interface and options and learn every merchants individual program it would be a major pain.

So I strongly recommend buying off the shelf software or better yet join a network and let them handle everything for you .

I've heard good reports about idevaffiliate, postaffiliatepro and groundbreak.
I think they are all very low cost too. I could not tell you which is the best though.

If you want more affiliates then joining a network is an even better option IMHO.

Well we had looked at some of those but they seem to only handle one time pays ... our recurring payments on the program seem to blow these products out.

Oh didn't realize you offered recurring commission. What type of product? If it's digital, Clickbank can handle recurring now I think.

Hi DC Dalton
Linda, raises some good points about trust in the affiliate marketing place, it is very beneficial for your affiliate relationships if affiliates can feel that they can trust you and your reporting.

You may be interested to know that Share Results supports recurring payments.

Please drop us a line and I would be happy to have a chat with you!

Almost every affiliate network supports recurring payments.

Post Affiliate Pro has a recurring payments feature too.

And I am sorry, but you could not go anywhere near building an adequate system in a "few days" - well, not one that any professional affiliate would join anyway.

If that is your attitude to your affiliate program then I very stroingly suggest you opt to go with a network like shareasale.com or someone who will steer you in the right direction.

Well the recurring part is a little different as we intend to offer $20 per sale and then $5 per month as long as the person stays a member.

And yes it's a digital product (well sort of) it's a PLR article and product membership site ... if that helps in the possible software ideas.

I'm looking into these different softwares today to see if I can get one that does that.

thanks for the tips

off topic:

Rob_TID said:
And I am sorry, but you could not go anywhere near building an adequate system in a "few days" - well, not one that any professional affiliate would join anyway

Ah sir, not to be a smart (you know) but you would be amazed what I could build in a few days, simply amazed

Ah sir, not to be smart but I'll say it again...

"... you could never design your own tracking solution that would work as well as the programs that have been out there for years, tested by thousands of affiliates and improved over time."

Not saying that you guys arent whiz bang programmers...

HOWEVER you started off saying "OK, I am COMPLETELY new to this!"
So there is no way you could know all the best features and best interface
and what affiliates like and don't like and what they want and don't want by whipping
up a program in a couple days! I know companies that have been in the industry for
years that tried it and failed and had to go buy tried and proven software.

As I said, join Shareasale. It's for your own good.

Or ignore the advice of full time, professional affiliates.

Either way, no skin off my nose.

MI
Back