The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Source of solution to geting listed in DMOZ?

temi

affiliate
I came across this this url: resource-zone.com/forum/, its a forum set up by DMOZ editors, I wonder if you can find insight into getting listed in DMOZ there. But it seem to suffer the same curse as DMOZ; unreliability, the forum seem to crash when I tried to register.
Temi

posted on behalf of Duke the eagle eye :)
============================

Shouldn't this be in the Directories forum?

dmoz is such a big confusing, highly ranked, user unfriendly directory that it prolly deserves it's own forum IMO.

Duke

lol, thanks.

I'd love to hear anyones suggestions on getting into dmoz. I've heard of webmasters trying for two years or more and not being added. dmoz also states that even paid entries does not guarantee inclusion into their directory.

I could be wrong too. I was looking around dmoz a lot only a month or so ago and thought I ran into it. I'll look a little bit tonite and see if I can find it.

Either that or I'm talking out my butt. :oops:

DMOZ also known as open directory was set up by Netscape and an open source type project.
If your site is has "unique" content and the category your want to submit your site to has editor, your site is listed free of charge.

DMOZ also allow you to take data out of their directory free of charge. Google does not have its own directory, it uses data from DMOZ directory.

Temi

ok

Temi, I understand your point of view, but i see many cases where the site was not included in DMOZ but was indexed by Google and have a big PR too.

Ovi

Ovi, google index, and Google directory are separate animals. http://directory.google.com .

Temi. Netscape actually bought ODP. Well they bought out gnuhoo and changed the name. Here is some info

In June of 1998, Rich Skrenta was fed up with Yahoo directory being a bag o bones so he set up GnuHoo. On June 5, 1998, the site went live. By June 18, there were 200 editors, 27,000 sites, 2,000 categories. There was no screening process. All an editor need to do was pick a category and begin editing. The idea was that if you had an interest in a topic, that topic would flourish with people who were passionate about the category at the helm.

On November 17, 1998, Netscape acquired NewHoo for their Netcenter Web Site. The next day, there were 4,500 editors and 100,000 listed sites in 2,500 categories.

April 16, 1999, it was announced that Lycos would use the ODP, which now had more than 8,000 editors, 430,000 sites and 65,000 categories. Naturally, HotBot went with its sister, Lycos.

It all went downhill after that. But there is a new kid on the block. www.skaffe.com much the same, and again with volunteer editors. I edit the Uk so anyone submitting to Skaffe in the Uk will probably have me editing their submission. There are currently NO outstanding submissions anywhere in the uk, And less that a dozen across Europe.

MI
Back