The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Should I Buy An Email List?

pow-wow

affiliate
I want to do an email marketing campaign. I am planning to buy an email list, though i think there must be some alternatives.

Is it a good idea to buy email lists? Or are there more effective and less expensive ways?

Ideals will be appreciated.
Thanks

Be very careful when buying lists. Maker sure they are relevant to your product/service.

Usually the seller lets you have a test sample. So say if the total list database is 10,000 ask for a test of 1,000.

KP

I regard all emails sent in this fashion as spam mail therefore so does my email setup regime!

I would think that you could use a better marketing strategy.

What are you trying to market?

So you dismiss the power of email marketing? If you do you're mad.

Pow-Wow is talking about people that have signed up to opt-in lists, not out right spamming lists.

KP

So I guess that email marketing campaign that I done for a large, well known German car manufacturer was a total waste of time and they wasted a lot of money on me doing it for them.

I'm not even going to get into a debate about this right now. I will put it down to lack of understanding of email marketing and having no concept of the idea.

KP

One thing is an email campaign from VW let's say and other is an email campaign from an unknown company.

You don't have to be rude when you reply. Sorry for interfering, that will never happen again.

I'm with KP on this one. There are thousands of opt-in lists out there, and we do three for various sized companies.

One bought a list of business marketing contacts, and he said that the sales from day one of the marketing campaign via email paid for the e-mail list. We'd only emailed 5000 of the 500,000 contacts!

Of course you'll get people unsubscribing, bounces and more, but the fact is that it does actuallly work.

Hi KP,

Interesting reply on this thread. I wonder, do you have any recommended reading material you can advice on this area of email marketing? I am also planning to launch my own email marketing campaign but not really know where should I begin. I already start looking at the mass email script as a starting point, but lacking of knowledge on how to write a good email. Do you have any recommendation? :)

I am actually writing a guide on e-mail marketing once I have finished writing my business plan guide.

I don't have anything to read right now no.

You can pick my brains if you need to know anything specific and perhaps I can guide you from there.

KP

Hi KP,

Thanks for your help. Yes if I have any queries, I will give you a shout. First of all, I am planning to install a free php email script in my web server. I have two in my mind, there are phplist and pommo. which of the two do you recommend? or do you have other better recommendation than those?

I know there are plenty of email marketing tool/software in the market, but most of them are paid service, so far I only managed to find this two script which is free to use and install.

As I am started on this new campaign, therefore I don't really want to spend too much on my budget. Free is great :)

If your going to host your own email list software, the very first thing I would recommend is getting a unique IP address. In fact, get a few just to be safe.

The reason why I say that is because if your on a shared IP, any number of the websites that are on that shared IP could be practicing unethical technologies and it will only need to get that IP banned and your mail is not getting through.

If I had to use a paid one it would be ListCast.com without fail.

They also have a relationship with Yahoo! where emails go through to the inbox rather than junk/bulk folders.

Yahoo! are notorious for not letting emails through.

Always use an opt-in, and make sure you have a privacy policy detailing that you will never share/sell email addresses.

Double opt-ins work but not as well.

KP

E-mail marketing is valid and powerful as King pin says. Tesco I believe are the biggest users of e-mail marketing in the UK and send out millions every day - can't remember the exact figure but it is scary.

If the mail has a relevant offer and is personalised it will often get opened. I just got one from Tesco this week saying that I hadn't shopped online for a while here is a £10 voucher.

The concepts will be similar this might help although obviously different. http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=1000002&mediaId=37200672

Hi KP,

If your going to host your own email list software, the very first thing I would recommend is getting a unique IP address. In fact, get a few just to be safe.

How do I get an unique IP address and get a few, as you suggested? Do you meant get more than one web hosting account? One for my domain and another one primarily for email marketing purpose. Am I right?

Usually you will be able to buy a unique IP address from your hosting company.

Having your own fresh IP means you are in control. Therefore if you mess up, it's your fault the emails you send out don't reach the indented recipients inbox.

Not someone else's fault who is on a shared IP.

KP

Spamming brings a bad reputation for the websites and has a low conversion rate. Spend your time elsewhere.

Jack

MI
Back