The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

SEO Myths

surreypcsupport

affiliate
"All backlinks will increase my traffic."

No. Only backlinks on sites that are topically relevant will generate traffic. Who will click on a link if the topic isn't relevant to them? Hardly anyone - you might get the odd visitor.

"My traffic will increase if I'm on page 1 of Google SERPs."

No. The only SERPs pages that generate traffic are those relating to search terms that are entered by users. If you are No 1 in Google for "grass growing videos" or "paint drying pictures" you will not get any traffic at all for your No 1 position because no one ever searches for those terms.

"Black hat SEO will destroy your SERPs."

No, some black hat techniques can be used sparingly without negative effects on ranking if the search engine algorithm writers are unaware of the techniques or the techniques are used in such a way as to not set alarm bells ringing in the algorithm logic.

"High page rank results in more traffic."

It simply does not. Page rank does not affect traffic directly in any way as far as I am aware. It is simply a bi-product of backlinking and other SEO techniques.

"Google sandbox means you cannot get on page 1 of Google until a site is six months old."

It is possible to get to position 1 for a search term with a brand new site. I have never seen any hard evidence that the Google sandbox exists.

"To improve SERPs positions you must regularly submit your site to the search engines."

In my experience search engine submission has had no detectable affect on SERPs.

"Google can not read text in flash."

Wrong. Google has teamed up with adobe to develop ways of reading text that has been added to flash, although it is far from perfect at the moment.

"For success on Google you must choose keywords in your keywords meta tags carefully."

No - Google pretty much ignores the keywords meta tag as far as I can tell. Page titles and descriptions are much more important.

==================================

That's all I can think of for now. Contributions of any kind appreciated.

I must say I'm a little sad to see this thread drop down below all the spam. I thought it was quite thought provoking and might even encourage some reasoned discussion. bump..

Side with your view on this point - "My traffic will increase if I'm on page 1 of Google SERPs." - So, the keyword researching is the top thing we all should do before any SEO jobs. :)

Yep, it's tricky striking the right balance between getting onto page 1 and targeting keyphrases that will generate enough traffic to be of value.

banners
Back