The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Q&A: Yahoo’s New Search Exec

O

ovi

Former IBM search CTO Andrei Broder will help Yahoo develop search technology.

Yahoo said on Friday it is expanding its research team by recruiting Andrei Broder, the former chief technology officer of IBM Research’s Institute for Search and Text Analysis.

Mr. Broder will fill the position of vice president of emerging search technology. He will report to Prabhakar Raghavan, who heads the group. RedHerring.com spoke to him about search and what he plans to do in the position.

Q: Could you talk about the evolution of search from query-based information retrieval to context-driven information supply?

A: That has been my position: that search engines are evolving. A few years ago, I wrote a paper discussing the first three generations. We are now entering the fourth generation.

Let me briefly go over the [first] three generations. The first generationâ€â€when AltaVista, Excite, and all that startedâ€â€was very close to the theory of information retrieval as it was in the last 40 years. It was just a matter of telling things to the web site.

Full article: redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=14544&hed=Q%26amp%3BA%3A+Yahoo%E2%80%99s+New+Search+Exec

banners
Back