The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

php

whiskymac

When building my website up until now I have used basic html format, should I stay with this or do you think I should change document type to php in future websites..

whiskymac........:confused:

PHP is not just a doc type it's a whole other language. No reason to change unless you need PHP programming for some type of functionality you can't get otherwise. Just stick with HTML.

I guess using PHP is more beneficial if you are using wordpress as a CMS. It is part of the coding system in Wordpress. Why do you want to change it?

was not sure

Not realy looking to change m8 just trying to upgrade my skills (lol) had noticed that a lot of websites had been php, but did not realy look into it in any great detail thought I would ask for opinions.
Thanks for taking the time to both.:)

Two pieces of php code that you may find helpful are:

1. The 301 redirect code, which will allow you to mask affiliate URL's

2. php include - which makes making sites updates easier.

There are several free resources out there where you can learn how to implement those in your site.

Just remember, if you already have a website and you want to change it to php, you could lose any SEO value you have on the pages that are .html or .htm pages unless you do a server side redirect - which is a bit more involved than php coding. If the traffic isnt that great, then it may not matter to you.

Hope that helps.

Anthony

PHP Tutorials

Not realy looking to change m8 just trying to upgrade my skills (lol) had noticed that a lot of websites had been php, but did not realy look into it in any great detail thought I would ask for opinions.
Thanks for taking the time to both.:)

Hi,

I think you could even use PHP for dummies, Lynda Tutorials For PHP or even W3C Programming tutorials on the w3c site.

I hope that helps.

WebCopyWriter

Includes are a big bonus

I would HIGHLY recommend changing to php extension at the very least. This gives you the flexibility to add includes down the road if you choose to. Do you know what is meant by and include?

If your website is just has static content there is no point of doing in php, php is a sever side coding language and its needed only if you have extra logic or dynamic content

PHP gives you a lot of server-side scripting that HTML can't. The HTML resides inside of the PHP code and displays the page the way you want it to look, but the PHP does most of the interactivity.

If it were me, I would put each of my pages in it's own keyword-named directory with an index.php or index.html inside.

Instead of:
mysite.com/marthas-vinyeard.php

you have:
mysite.com/marthas-vineyard/

Most good content managers allow you to do this pretty easily.

The advantage of this, is if you change to php or coldfusion or asp, you don't have to redirect everything. Gives you maximum flexibility going forward.

Keep in mind that you can always paste the html content into whatever language you choose to use down the road.

Hope this helps,
Bill

HTML is great for static sites but if you have a site that requires regular updates you need to upgrade to php... base your decision on that and not on the benefits of php. keep it simple.

banners
Back