The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Oh No, Another PR Thread !!!

S

Steve_gts

Hi all.

Has anyone else noticed strange results from the last PR update? I have a couple of sites as an example, site 1 has a few inbound links and is only 3 months old yet it was awarded a PR4.

Site 2, has G showing 200 links, (at the update before it had about 25 and was a PR3) since then I paid a few quid for some of the new ones and they are very relevant, the site is still a PR 3, However........... if you go 2 levels deep into the site there is a page which has no inbound links but is a PR4!!!

From what I know, generally speaking, if the HP is a 3, pages below that are a 2 and pages below that are a 1.

Does anyone have any idea whay site 2 would have pages 2 levels deep with higher PR than the HP?

Thanks

Steve, Google works in mysterious ways, I have even heard reports of site with PR3 with no inbound links

Oh Dear, how can I explain this without a graph or flow chart :( I really must get around to placing this on my website ;)

Ok How can a deep page have a higher PR than the home page? Simple, it is ALL about link structure. Link structure (i prefer navigation structure as a phrase when talking about within a site). so lets go to the top.

First off, understand that a page can vote (not transfer, as it votes and keeps PR) a page can vote, up to 85% of the value of its own Page rank (PR). This value is divided between the outbound links it has.

So page 'A' is a pr4 page with 10 outbound links (assuming they are all internal links to the site because PR travels more freely within a domain than it does across the web). so 10 links divided by pr4 X 0.85 = a link value of 0.34Pr per link. Ok so there we have it.

It links to every page on the site, as do all the others. so in a flat navigation structure like this, every page on the site will have the same PR (in theory).

BUT, lets say that there is a page on the site that has a fantastic bit of content that many many people link to. This site <NB THIS SHOULD READ PAGE< NOT SITE sorry > will ALWAYS be AT LEAST 015% higher in PR than the rest of the site, as it can only vote 85% of its own PR out. Normally most people will link to the home page, but not always.

Ok Another way to manipulate PR, and it is called daisychaning.

Page A
Page B
Page C
Page D

Page a is a pr4 It has one link on it to page B which has one link on it to page C which has one link on it to page D.

Every page in the site links to page a, b, c & d. They however only link to each other in daisy chain mode.

So page a will pass ALL its available vote to page B (this will not be = to .85 however as other dampening factors will kick in due to the small amount of outbound links. But lets assume it passes say 10% This makes Page b PR$ +.10 of A = PR 4.4 this then passes 10% on to c making which passes on 10% onto d and so on, with the PR compunding along the daisy chain.

The other way to do it (which is better although a waste of time as PR is a load of balls anyhow). is to have

page a linking to B, C, D, E, F, G & H
b linking to c,d,e,f,g,h,
c linkng to d,e,f,g,h,
and so on, This will allow more PR to flow out of the early pages, and along the daisy chain.

I hope this has explained it better although somehow I doubt it :D

Another classic from OWG, I will get a flow chart for this done and post it as page to help other members find it easily

Thanks for that OWG,

It does make a lot of sense, I'm daisychaining down to that page, thats why it must have the higher PR.

It's not something that I did intentionally but it has put me to the top of msn for it's search term and is appearing pretty high in G too.

Thanks again

Hi OWG,

I just had a thought and this thread seemed like a good place to find out if it is likely to work.

I am thinking of putting a software demo on my site, although, instead of slides or video I could make it from web pages where the visitor just clicks next as they go through. I would need a link to the homepage on each page incase people want to get out of it, however if I have, say 10 slides, looping round and ending back on the original page would this still work in the same daisychain way, or would it negate itself because its a complete loop?

Thanks

Yes PI,
I noticed that, and it seem also to give Blog sub pages on a domain better ranking than non blogs related sub domains, I wonder why?

Matt Cutts said a long time ago that he sees the future of corporate websites as a main site, and a corporate blog or blogs that tell people the news about the site.

It was just a suggestion. Maybe google rewards blogs more because their spiders don't have zillions of pages to index.

I don't know, I'm just guessing.

I think they're rewarding websites that update regularly and people's blogs tend to be the most updated part of their websites? so it's not specifically about the blogs?

Umm, but I sort of think blogs seem to be giving slighly more bost to other parts of websites at present

banners
Back