The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Not Enough Data v/s Not Enough Spend. How To Proceed?

captain47

affiliate
Hey guys,

Even after all the trashing and talk about Decisive, I have been sticking with that traffic source so far. The latest campaign I ran there was a utility app install (Battery saver) and I have been told by their rep that they have seen such campaigns find success on their network and it fits their network.

Details:
- Offer: Battery Saver App Install
- Offer from: Mundo Media and Matomy Media
- Payout: <0.50$
- LP: Direct Linking
- Traffic Source: Decisive
- Geo: 14 Countries (Chosen with help from my Aff Man based on the conversion volume and % of English speakers)
- Tracker: Voluum

Campaign Progress so far:
- Total Spent: 79$
- Impressions: 567713
- Clicks: 6344
- Conversions: 4 (-99% ROI)
- Creative Variations: 18
- Angles: 5
- Campaign has been running for 6 days now.

I have been closely monitoring the campaign and have been blacklisting the sites and apps that are eating a lot of money without any result.

The offer converts very well on both affiliate networks. So its not the problem with the offer. Am told by Decisive that such offers work well on their network, I don't see why they would lie to me, so they are probably right.

Then the apparent problem is me and my ads and my angles, and I should work on more angles. right?

I understand many would argue that 80$ is way too low of a spend.

But here is the question that's bothering the life out of me:

Can I turn this campaign around by testing new ads and angles? Or is this enough data to show that the offer is not a fit for the traffic source?

I am staring at a wall. Any suggestions on how I can climb over it? What would you do at this point?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hey Captain,
Wake-up, you are trying to sell a product in the same 100 sites and apps where every tom nick and Harry have sold the same thing 1000 times.
No new angle will work even if u wrap same old product in silk.
Shift to better ones.

Hey Captain,
Wake-up, you are trying to sell a product in the same 100 sites and apps where every tom nick and Harry have sold the same thing 1000 times.
No new angle will work even if u wrap same old product in silk.
Shift to better ones.

Better product / Better sites and apps?

Hello Captain ,

LP sometimes convert better also i want ask is are promoting this offer in non english speaking country ?

Hello Captain ,

LP sometimes convert better also i want ask is are promoting this offer in non english speaking country ?

From all my previous campaigns so far on the same vertical, Direct Linking worked for me.
And no, all the countries are English speaking.

Hi captain dont get deviated, just forget abt bad performing ads.
My advice is do analysis first, mobile market is different than websites and ppc.
I will again repeat do not depend on redirect traffic and website based traffic for mobile ads.

Decisive is not misleading you on the fact that such offers convert on their network, as they certainly do, but as shreedharcva hinted at, a lot of those low-paying utility apps seem to be saturated on Decisive. I have no problems getting conversions on similar offers, but due to the current CPMs of sites/apps that convert well, the best I can do is break even despite a high CTR, and solid CR and EPC.

And I don't know anyone who would say a $80 spend on a $0.50 offer is "way too low of a spend." That's a whopping 160x offer payout which is insane. You should be making decisions to cut the offer lose or radically changing your approach at an absolute max of 10x offer payout.

Also, for what it's worth, I've never had any success with direct linking on Decisive. Not saying it can't be done, of course, but I honestly don't see how people pull it off.

@shreedharcva
I assume your sage advice is going over my head, but I'm not sure what you're getting at when you say "do not depend on redirect traffic and website based traffic for mobile ads." Seeing as how you also downplay apps-based traffic in post #2, what else is there? SMS marketing?

has anybody tried admoda,adultmoda,tapit,mobvista,mobhero...... they are all mobile ad networks.
Also try greystripe,sponsormob,fiksu,chartboost,flurry,revmob,fyber. The concept i follow after few failures and few nice gains is to rely on true mobile adnetworks and not on mobile website and url or keyword based adnetworks.

Hi captain dont get deviated, just forget abt bad performing ads.
My advice is do analysis first, mobile market is different than websites and ppc.
I will again repeat do not depend on redirect traffic and website based traffic for mobile ads.

By "redirect traffic" you mean the ones that redirect your users to your landing page / offer page, right? I see the term used a lot, but cant find a definition for the same.

Decisive is not misleading you on the fact that such offers convert on their network, as they certainly do, but as shreedharcva hinted at, a lot of those low-paying utility apps seem to be saturated on Decisive. I have no problems getting conversions on similar offers, but due to the current CPMs of sites/apps that convert well, the best I can do is break even despite a high CTR, and solid CR and EPC.

And I don't know anyone who would say a $80 spend on a $0.50 offer is "way too low of a spend." That's a whopping 160x offer payout which is insane. You should be making decisions to cut the offer lose or radically changing your approach at an absolute max of 10x offer payout.

Also, for what it's worth, I've never had any success with direct linking on Decisive. Not saying it can't be done, of course, but I honestly don't see how people pull it off.

@shreedharcva
I assume your sage advice is going over my head, but I'm not sure what you're getting at when you say "do not depend on redirect traffic and website based traffic for mobile ads." Seeing as how you also downplay apps-based traffic in post #2, what else is there? SMS marketing?

I kept the offer running for almost a week just to see if anything happens and kept adding banners into it and blacklisting apps and sites that spent too much without any results every day. I am probably doing something wrong, but what the heck. It was all I could do. And that's how it ended up at 80$ spend.

Thanks for this. Makes decision making easier.

You can either go back to the drawing board and try to create new angles, banners, etc...or scratch the offer completely and start testing a new offer with higher payout. Performing media buys with an offer at only .50 puts you at pretty slim odds of hitting a profit, unless you are getting high quality traffic dirt cheap (which is possible, but not typical). With all that being said -99% ROI is terrible, and you may want to rethink everything over including the niche, offers, banners, and advertising source you are using before trying another offer out.

You can either go back to the drawing board and try to create new angles, banners, etc...or scratch the offer completely and start testing a new offer with higher payout. Performing media buys with an offer at only .50 puts you at pretty slim odds of hitting a profit, unless you are getting high quality traffic dirt cheap (which is possible, but not typical). With all that being said -99% ROI is terrible, and you may want to rethink everything over including the niche, offers, banners, and advertising source you are using before trying another offer out.

Thanks for your feedback man. I have paused my campaigns for now. Going into analysis/research mode.

banners
Back