The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Newbie trying to understand cookies

Pamelat

affiliate
Hi everyone, I am a newbie but have been researching IM and SEO for awhile and narrowed my site ideas down to two that both where travel related. I narrowed potential affiliate programs down to 6-8, but recently noticed an old post on another forum talking about rebate sites (big crumbs, ebates, etc) that has me concerned.
Is it true that even if my site drives a customer to affiliate x's site that they spend time on, I will recieve no commission if they then close the site and go into ebates, for example, to book their travel and get a rebate? If so, I see this as a big problem because of the number of rebate sites these days and the frequency of reminder e-mails they send out. Just today, I recieved an e-mail from a rebate sight that had ALL of the major travel sites listed with rebates of 3-12%. In this economy, many people would find that attractive enough to use, especially on high ticket purchases. Am I even understanding this correctly, and if so, is there any way around it other that avoiding merchants that partner with these rebate sites? In my case, that would eliminate all of the large "reputable" travel companies. Thanks for any advice!

With most affiliate programs the last cookie gets the sale and there is no way around it. Yes it's a good idea to try to find companies to partner with that don't work with the rebate programs.

Thanks, that is frustrating since the rebate sites have so many of the big companies onboard. and are getting more and more popular with consumers. Anyone know just how much business they are taking away from the "regular" affiliates? And if there's no way to beat them should we join them?

MI
Back