The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

New but Old

Mushroom

Hi, I am new to the forum but old to the Web. I have been active on the Web since 94' and published my first site in 95'.

It has been a great experience, and as an early pathfinder I have the arrows to prove my journey is not without a few wounds. This is, like many others what attracted me, to the Web. Not the arrows, but having the ability to develop a business on a level playing field.

Making money on the Internet is an easy task to think about, but the transition of a thought (dream) to the reality of making money can be a long journey.

How many times have I heard "just get some advertisers" like any publisher. In the early to mid 90's that was difficult because most known advertisers had little knowledge of their ROI until they tired it and they counted on the Advertising Agency to guide them. That made the task even more difficult at first because why would an agency risk the clients money on an unproven market?

Finally the upper management, mostly encouraged by a younger generation, their kids, were introducing the Web to their parents, and the parents (executives) asked the mid to lower management why they were not advertising on the Web, and this management group through the question to their agency. The answer was simple it was an unproven market.

Shortly following was when we, as publishers, saw the BOOM.

I know I was doing my normal routine (mostly nothing) and I got a call from an agency wanting a RFP for run of network. Not wanting to sound dumb I said sure, but truth be know I didn't have a clue about RFP's, or even the term run of network. But I had sources that did know, and they were good enough friends to ask.

Well that was suddenly a big change fore me to go from earning maybe $300, to a big month $750 from a banner ad campaign. You know the networks that evolved from banner networks to affiliate networks.

My short introduction is just about finished.

I puffed out my chest and asked for my highest revenue from my history $750a month. To my surprise the agreed with hesitation. I thought I had knocked it out of the park, but two weeks later they called, and said they felt bad about taking advantage of me and increase the amount to $1,350. Knock me over with a feather. Three months later they called again and I had my fingers crossed they would not run away. But again I was surprised the want another three months, but they would pay $7,500 per month. I big strain on my heart, but a accepted.

Knowing the direction of the banner networks, which was on a definite slide I was deeply concerned this was only a short term situation, and began looking at pay for clicks. At the time we, "publishers", were about .03 cents to if you were lucky .05 cents.

My greatest fear happened at the end of this campaign the agent called and said their client had decided they wanted to pay only based on click troughs‘. Boy that was scary because I had no idea of the number of click that I generated for them, and I never invested in the stat program to help.

OK, just about there.

They told me I could not tell another the amount, but the client was going to pay me .75 cents per click. Unheard of. Still nervous but without the ability to say no I accepted. Well, the agency said the client was sending me a bonus for all the business they had received for the first few months above what I had been paid.

You could have knocked me over with a feather. They sent a check for additional $10,000. Then the first month of click troughs came in.. I was sending them over 28,000 clicks at .75 cents per click.

I rest of the story is history, as this story was, and I use it as my introduction.

I look forward to joining this forum and learning.

Kind Regards

Welcome to 5 Star, Mushroom.

That was some introduction.

I remember the boom and was glad to be part of it. Those days were great!

We always love to get experienced people as members because they can add so much.

I hope you will enjoy being part of our community and I hope to see you participating in some of our discussions.

Lawree - New but Old

Larwee,

Yes, those were the good old days, and then to watch it decline to about zero was devastating. It took about all of 2000, and most of 2001 to just get it back to around $4,000. Those years were tough mostly because everyone seemed to be in shock, and doing business was just not the battle cry. It was HELP.

Then the affiliate programs sprang up designed to answer the concerns of the advertisers low ROI, but the offset was the revenue to the publisher was just about zero. These programs are well written to help the advertiser, and generate income to the affiliate programs, like CJ, Link Share, and others.

It is only my opinion, but I truly feel if the affiliate networks plan to stay in business they will need to adapt, and find a fair way for both the advertiser and publisher to benefit, and tighten their security (about zero now).

I have seen more of the advertisers pulling out, and doing their own programs. It takes them about a year (I think) before they can approach the publisher that signed up through the network. Some are going a different route like co-branding the publisher with their content. Google Ad-sense, Yahoo, and a few others have found a better way to bring the publishers into the plus column through relevant placements of ads.

I only hope the affiliate networks adapt before they become extinct like the banner networks.

I appreciate your warm response, and I like the fact we receive an eMail when someone replies to our post.

Thanks Again

Hi Mushroom,

Welcome to 5 Star. Wow what an intro! You've really been through
boom and bust, And you're still around to talk about it! :D

Really happy you joined us. I have a feeling this will be a
mutually beneficial relationship. :)

Talk about experienced!

From the sound of things your online efforts have been like riding a roller coaster! But at least you're still here to talk about it.

Good for you Mushroom! Shows you have the ability to hang on and hang in there.

Myself, I'm new to marketing, only doing a couple of things as an affiliate.

banners
Back