My Recent TeeSpring Failures - Help!?

Certified

T J Tutor

GM
Administrator
Certified Vendor
Dojo Master
AffKit
Below are the last four dark posts and TeeSpring products I ran. I received no conversions. I had a $5 to $20 daily spend on each to see if I could get some traction. I use a combination of Ads manager and Power Editor. I studied all of the elements presented in Dark post Profits, FB Ads Cracked, and all of the TeeSpring Products out there. I am stumped. I guess that the niches or the targeting is failing me. I got likes and shares with all of them, but not a single conversion.

Can you guys give me some insight?

Dont-Tell-Dad.png

Kiss-Balls.png

Putin-Cry.png

Reds-Got.png

At least you know what doesn't work.

I haven't done any Tee Spring campaigns myself, but I have done advertising .
"I studied all of the elements presented in Dark post Profits, FB Ads Cracked, and all of the TeeSpring Products out there."
Don't follow everything what they say, do it your own way. Create your own style based on the info you have got.

Maybe it's not your Marketing/Advertising, but the product itself. I won't lie, but you could make the designs better, then maybe people would buy.
When you create a T-Shirt design, ask someone who you know to tell them what they like and what they don't, before even lunching the ad.

Good Luck, and it's just the start, mistakes are good.

Klayne

At least you know what doesn't work.

I haven't done any Tee Spring campaigns myself, but I have done advertising .
"I studied all of the elements presented in Dark post Profits, FB Ads Cracked, and all of the TeeSpring Products out there."
Don't follow everything what they say, do it your own way. Create your own style based on the info you have got.

Maybe it's not your Marketing/Advertising, but the product itself. I won't lie, but you could make the designs better, then maybe people would buy.
When you create a T-Shirt design, ask someone who you know to tell them what they like and what they don't, before even lunching the ad.

Good Luck, and it's just the start, mistakes are good.

Klayne

Thanks for the input Klayne,

You're right about doing things in my own way. I study others to be sure I am as up to date on methods of others while developing my own methods. I'm not new to marketing, but I am new to FB Ads and Teespring.

I agree in some ways about the products. I did a test run on the designs and interests to see if I would get likes. The Putin and Kiss My Balls Campaigns got an abundance of likes. In the end though, if it doesn't sell, it isn't interesting enough and/or a poor design. So, I have stopped these campaigns and started another that is similar to the Red Knows your Number ad and product. It is generating likes already, but no sales yet. It's only been up about 30 minutes or so. I'll report its effectiveness and any conversions after a day.

BTW, I was following Don Wilsons advice in keeping it simple in the ads and the design.

Are-You-Seeing-Red-White-Tee.png

Are you tracking your Ads at least to sort out the best ages or gender?

I'm just using the Ads manager and Power Editor tracking at the moment along with the FB pixel for TeeSpring. I also have the ads set up to target the demographics I've gathered from Alexa, Compete, and Google Trends. I have ads for several age groups and also separated by gender.

Last edited:
Hey TJ,

I will try to give some pointers which I think can be improved upon. These are just things which are working well for me. Obviously you are a marketing veteran yourself, so analyse and improve as you see fit. :)

1. In the first shirt, I think there is a lot of text and the attention is being taken away from the T-shirt by lots of red colors around it. I always use a basic template for my FB ads and it works great. I have put it up on this thread.

http://www.affiliatefix.com/f78/best-type-image-fb-high-ctr-7967/

2. As you can see I have also made a button in the image. It helps in getting clicks to the teespring campaign. When I wasnt using button in the image, I was getting a lot of comments like how to buy it, where is link and more. The thing is people are scrolling very fast in Facebook and we need to get their attention and show them how to get the product real fast before they scroll down from our post.

3. I also use the Facebook CTA button "Shop Now" in all my ads and i feel quite confident that it boosts sales.

4. Right now, I am also between 1:3 to 1:4 success to failure ratio when it comes to Teespring shirts. It was much worse earlier and we have reached here after testing so many shirts and getting 30k from Teespring. It is just that we try to make 10 or more designs per day so that we are able to find 2 or 3 winners.

5. What objective are you setting in your campaign goals? PPE works the best for me.

6. May be try going after more general niches to start with? Something like dogs or a t-shirt on a popular TV series? (might be you are already doing it, I couldnt understand on what you have made the 1st and 4th tee, lol.)

7. I also feel that the designs need to improve. Most of our campaigns are just in one color to get maximum profit, but we work hard on the design. But we are able to get good sales even with only quote based t-shirts if the targeting is right.

8. For targeting try to go after specific pages and not too mainstream pages. For eg if I am making a T-shirt based on a TV series I will not target its official page but select pages of characters of that series and that too not the most popular character. Most of the times this ensures that we get real passionate users as our audience as they went ahead and liked the page of a character in the series. So it wont be the same as someone who liked the main page of that TV series just for the sake of it.

9. I cut a design if it spends $12 and doesnt get a conversion so we are able to test a lot of designs on a small budget.

10. I set conversion tracking pixel for all the ads, so that I can see which age group is giving maximum conversions. Most of the times the older age group (30+) converts better. so if the audience is more than 50k i start the ad with 30+ age group and once there are some conversions it gets the ball rolling, and i relax the ad to show to anyone above 22 years.

A very good luck to you. :)

Hey TJ,

I will try to give some pointers which I think can be improved upon. These are just things which are working well for me. Obviously you are a marketing veteran yourself, so analyse and improve as you see fit.

1. In the first shirt, I think there is a lot of text and the attention is being taken away from the T-shirt by lots of red colors around it. I always use a basic template for my FB ads and it works great. I have put it up on this thread.

http://www.affiliatefix.com/f78/best-type-image-fb-high-ctr-7967/

Yeah, you're right about this. I somewhat knew this going in, it looks more like the beginning of an ad for a funnel. I was taking a shot to see if this type of ad would get some play. I simplified the ads after to do a side by side comparison on response. I will dumb them down more.

2. As you can see I have also made a button in the image. It helps in getting clicks to the teespring campaign. When I wasn't using button in the image, I was getting a lot of comments like how to buy it, where is link and more. The thing is people are scrolling very fast in Facebook and we need to get their attention and show them how to get the product real fast before they scroll down from our post.

3. I also use the Facebook CTA button "Shop Now" in all my ads and i feel quite confident that it boosts sales.

So you are using 2 buttons? One in the image and then another from the Power Editor Buttons for the ad?

4. Right now, I am also between 1:3 to 1:4 success to failure ratio when it comes to Teespring shirts. It was much worse earlier and we have reached here after testing so many shirts and getting 30k from Teespring. It is just that we try to make 10 or more designs per day so that we are able to find 2 or 3 winners.

I knew going into this I would be playing a numbers game. I've got page after page of ideas and I have been averaging about 25 to 30 drafts in my TeeSpring account. I have outsourced some of the more comprehensive art, I do most of the simpler stuff myself. I have to step it up from 2 a day to 10 a day. I can do that.

Niche research for this stuff is a little different than other objectives I've worked with. I have been using trends and hot topics. Then I verify demographics with the typical tools of our trade. have you any tips on niche research for this medium?

5. What objective are you setting in your campaign goals? PPE works the best for me.

I've been using Website Clicks and Conversions. I use the FB Pixel and plug it in at TeeSpring. I am lacking in tracking with Facebook stuff. Typically I use Bevo for everything else. I have not used Post Page Engagement for the campaigns. I started to do this, but having been through Don Wilson's FB Ads Cracked and Chris Records Dark Post Profits I chose to use Dark Posts for the campaigns. I'm going to use the PPE option for my campaigns this week and compare.

6. May be try going after more general niches to start with? Something like dogs or a t-shirt on a popular TV series? (might be you are already doing it, I couldn't understand on what you have made the 1st and 4th tee, lol.)

The first Tee was directed at the TV Series The Blacklist
The fourth Tee is directed at the Ukraine crisis. I made an error when running that campaign. Mistakingly ran it against the wrong country.

The ads I did for the tees about "RED" are targeted at the "Blacklist" TV Series. I did some more checking on demographics this morning and learned that there may be a better following in a few other countries for some reason (Google Trends). I am relaunching those two for a day in those countries to see if the response is there.

I'm reluctant to campaign other countries though due to the shipping costs.

7. I also feel that the designs need to improve. Most of our campaigns are just in one color to get maximum profit, but we work hard on the design. But we are able to get good sales even with only quote based t-shirts if the targeting is right.

Yeah, I guess I am letting my own graphical nature take over a little too much with what I put out there! I need to keep it to a simple message.

8. For targeting try to go after specific pages and not too mainstream pages. For eg if I am making a T-shirt based on a TV series I will not target its official page but select pages of characters of that series and that too not the most popular character. Most of the times this ensures that we get real passionate users as our audience as they went ahead and liked the page of a character in the series. So it wont be the same as someone who liked the main page of that TV series just for the sake of it.

You're right, of course, i don't how I missed this. Duh! Find the ones with irrational passion!

9. I cut a design if it spends $12 and doesnt get a conversion so we are able to test a lot of designs on a small budget.

Yeah, I have been keeping low budgets to test each campaign, this is a must knowing that testing 5 to 10 campaigns a day can add up over the week.

10. I set conversion tracking pixel for all the ads, so that I can see which age group is giving maximum conversions. Most of the times the older age group (30+) converts better. so if the audience is more than 50k i start the ad with 30+ age group and once there are some conversions it gets the ball rolling, and i relax the ad to show to anyone above 22 years.

I actually have been using demos for age group identification. I'll use your method for the next few weeks and compare.

A very good luck to you.

Thanks My friend! Great information and I will post here with my results having implemented your suggestions.

Lot's of great advice here, if I could I would like to throw my 2 cents on the design.

I think the designs on the shirts might be a little too cartoonish, and busy overall. If you simplify the artwork and develop a higher quality product it will help. Users pretty much need to view your promotion and want to buy it on impulse, so it's going to have to be something that people are going to want to wear and represent, not thinking too much about the Purchase.

To get specific, the people that I know who play golf would definitely not be interested in a shirt that mentioned "She kisses my balls..." in any way. The humor is there but I think it's a little immature for the Golf crowd, at least from my own friends and experiences with people interested in the sport. This conflict can definitely prevent you from getting conversions on your promo I think. The Putin shirt I feel is way too busy and it's hard to really focus on whats important. The shirt has "Comic strip" feel to it, and I don't think it translates well on to the shirt. You might be better off with a bold phrase or statement, and then a simple (but high quality) logo/image to go with it.

I will continue to follow your Journey, TJ! Keep up the good work man I think you're going to find something that works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly your ad spend is so small you'll never get accurate data...you have to spend at least $50 to know if it's going to work.

Personally I go oCPM on post engagement, bid for clicks.

Get to know your audience and create images they won't to see, something that means something to them.

You CTR isn't good either so work on those banners, there's plenty on the net but I can upload some examples if you like.

New banner.
Better Copy.
Post Engagement
oCPM
Bid for Clicks
$20/daily

throw up 5, if one sells more than 4 in day one, go with it.

using Ocpm with PPE. :)

Also, ya i am using two buttons one that facebook provide in Power editor and one in the image. I am also doing only US atm.

Last edited:
Firstly your ad spend is so small you'll never get accurate data...you have to spend at least $50 to know if it's going to work.

Personally I go oCPM on post engagement, bid for clicks.

Get to know your audience and create images they won't to see, something that means something to them.

You CTR isn't good either so work on those banners, there's plenty on the net but I can upload some examples if you like.

New banner.
Better Copy.
Post Engagement
oCPM
Bid for Clicks
$20/daily

throw up 5, if one sells more than 4 in day one, go with it.

using Ocpm with PPE. :)

Also, ya i am using two buttons one that facebook provide in Power editor and one in the image. I am also doing only US atm.

Are you using default bids with Optimized CPM, or are you actually bidding in the oCPM option?

FB-CPM-Panel.png

Also, for tracking, what are you guys using for tracking with FB & TeeSpring?

Last edited:
Default Bids.

Not using anything else for tracking other than Facebook conversion pixel which I add in Teespring. That way I can go and see in reports which age group converted the best and what was the cost per conversion fro that age group. Though, it only records conversions from paid reach and not organic shares but still good enough to find which age group is converting the best. :)

Last edited:
Default Bids.

Not using anything else for tracking other than Facebook conversion pixel which I add in Teespring. That way I can go and see in reports which age group converted the best and what was the cost per conversion fro that age group. Though, it only records conversions from paid reach and not organic shares but still good enough to find which age group is converting the best. :)

For the most part, I've been doing everything just as you and K have suggested. I've raised my daily spend from $10 to $20 per ad. Other than that, I have set up the campaigns and the tracking as you both suggest. When I don't get a sale within 24 hours, I kill the ad and the campaign at TeeSpring.

I started this campaign below last night, but getting similar results today. Given that Don Wilson had success with a similar Tee, I thought I would make this work with the same demographics and targets. I think I need to reboot my brain, my skills should be able to target and produce far better than this.

potential target reach is over 1.2MM

Size-Matters.png

size-matters.png

size-matters-audience.png

Last edited:
Also, I know a lot of us are looking through Teeview and Teescover for inspiration and such, but there is something off with teesview. I have search through teeview both in "newest added" and by search and have never seen any of my tees show up there. I have also search there for Don Wilson's tees and have yet to find any of his.

I also search Shirtoid, SpreadShirt, Zazzle, and Teepublic.

Why not redesign it?
To me the font and text looks thin and a little amateurish.
If this were my shirt I would also change it to read "Size Really Does Matter" to emphasise the point.
You could add a ruler image under the text with 12 inches measured out... and maybe a fish?

MI
Back