The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

My journey to find mobile success

jonmic2k

affiliate
Hey guys,

Was contemplating for a couple of days about whether or not to create an online journal - mainly because I was afraid that I would embarrass myself if I don't have any success to show like some of the other guys here.

But after thinking long and hard, I finally decided that having an online journal and potentially having hundreds of people reading this will only bring more good than bad to me.

"What do you do when you fall, you pick yourself up"

So why do I want to do this?
1. To keep me accountable so that I stick with my goals/targets. I want to be able to look back at this thread 3 months/6 months/1 year down the road and see how far I've gone.
2. I want you guys to criticize the shit out of me if I'm doing something wrong. I know this industry is really competitive and people don't share or talk much, but I've seen you guys being really helpful too. So please, do let me know if I'm doing things right or wrong.
3. If I do achieve success, I hope that this thread will inspire others. You have no idea how many times I've felt demotivated after making a loss and then coming into this forum and seeing other people's success stories. "If they can do it, I can do it too."

What are my goals?
Short term - 1 month - $10 profit/day
Medium term - 3 months - $100 profit/day
Medium to long term - 6 months - $500 profit/day
Long term - 1 year - $1000 profit/day

What have I done so far?
I started affiliate marketing with Facebook, ran for about 3 months before deciding to switch to mobile in June. Took me about a month to read up on it and finally ran my first mobile campaign some time in June/July.
Still have not found success to this date.

I was running mostly pin submit offers with a focus on antivirus offers and sweeps.

What am I doing differently this time?
After months without success, I'm going to try something totally different. This time I'm going to try to run CPI offers with a focus on utility apps. Reason I didn't do this earlier was because I was turned off by the low payout. But at this stage, I'm willing to try anything. I still like running antivirus offers so I'll still run them occasionally.

Current campaign
Offer: CPI Utility App
Payout: $0.25

I am testing this offer by running 2 types of campaigns.
Campaign 1: Direct link with banners provided by the advertiser
Campaign 2: Still using the banners provided by the advertiser + LP

Traffic sources: Tapit and SmartApp (as recommended by @shreedharcva)

Just submitted both campaigns for approval so I will update again tomorrow once they're approved and I start getting some traffic in.

Wrong Choice of APP, dont know when you guys will learn at all.

If you want to promote App Install Offers, follow my crazy rules.

1. Never select those shitty below dollar apps, that every tom dick n harry choses. Be Unique.
2. Never compromise on the click costs, if your cpc is $0.01 then atleast you should get one conversion in 100 clicks or $1 spend. Then CPI value must be above $1.
3. No Use of LP, only banners.

Its not SmartApp, its STARTAPP.

Sorry I meant StartApp.

Hmm ok. I'll revisit the offers and see if I can find ones that have better payouts.

1. Never select those shitty below dollar apps, that every tom dick n harry choses. Be Unique.
2. Never compromise on the click costs, if your cpc is $0.01 then atleast you should get one conversion in 100 clicks or $1 spend. Then CPI value must be above $1.

Followed your advice. Found a couple of CPI offers paying more than $1 and just submitted them for approval. No LPs, just banners.

Will keep you guys updated.

Hey man, am glad you finally have it out here. I hope this thread ends up as a successful one.

In my experience so far, its really hard to find profit with low paying and anti-virus offers. Decisive guys just plainly told me that many of their placements wont even accept antivirus ads.

Also, do not always trust your AM when it comes to picking an offer. If you ask him/her "Hey do you have a CPI offer recommendation for me" and if he replies instantly "Sure, go with this".. Then don't! He probably gives that out to every guy who asks him.

Ask him to give you a list of top 20 CPI offers from the network based on volume and then pick the ones that have a payout of at least 0.75$.

My logic is, the effort required to make a person install an App is more or less the same. So stick to the ones with the higher payout. Man, trust me when I say this, I have spent hours working with low payout offers with no success and then one day I was browsing around my aff network and searched for CPI offers, sorted the list and picked one that pays well, talked to my Aff man about it and went with it and now its profitable. I just need to figure out how to scale at this point.

Good luck!

Hey man, can you elaborate on point 3? I get better conversions when I use Landing Pages instead of direct linking. So its always a matter of testing out in your specific scenario on what works. I have heard that for game downloads, usually direct linking works better.

Quick update:
So I am running 3 campaigns at the moment.
2 are for gaming (1 for Android and another for iOS), and another is an antivirus offer.

It's been 2 days now and I'm hardly getting traffic. I'm using StartApp for the gaming offers and Zeropark for antivirus.

I've been monitoring my traffic and have been increasing my bids periodically. Still nothing so it's getting pretty frustrating but I'm not giving up.

May I ask why you don't like LP's? I used to run LP only without banners on Airpush for Onavo and some virus offers and they did just fine for installs. I agree for games it a bit difference but why banners for App Installs?

Update:
One of the gaming CPI offers that I tried to run failed miserably. Spent about 4-5x the payout with no conversions so I decided to ditch it.
I got a couple more CPI offers that I'm trying to run but having problems with them - either I can't get traffic (so I've been adjusting my bids) or the traffic source is taking forever to approve my campaign (it's been more than 24 hours and StartApp still hasn't approved :mad:)

On the other hand, I've gone back to running antivirus campaigns - which I was previously doing.

I decided to take a risk and run this offer. I tried to run it before but it was a hit or miss.
This time, I tweaked the landing page and I'm trying out another traffic source. Took me a while to get traffic but after adjusting my bids, traffic's been coming in and I'm getting conversions.

I've only ran it for the last couple of days but here are my stats as of local time:
Cost: $7.86
Revenue: $29.55
Profit: $21.69
ROI: 275.95%

I know it's only been two days but this is my first profitable campaign so let's hope I can keep the momentum. I'll let it run a little more and start optimizing by cutting out non-performing landing pages.

Last edited:
Another affiliate fix follow along, another profitable affiliate created with help to this forum.

Amazing guys, congrats!

Well, it looks like it was short lived.

Today didn't go so well as I had hoped for so I didn't get as many leads as yesterday.
9 Nov 2014
Cost: $23.41
Revenue: $9.85
Profit: $-13.56

Overall Profit: $0.46
ROI: +1.18%

LOL..this is what happens when you get too excited too fast.

MI
Back