The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Links back from the same server

sem-dude

affiliate
Every time my company publishes a new website, it makes a link back to its own site. Many of the sites reside on the same server as the company website. Could this have any negative effects to search engines?

negatiove no, non positive, yes. So in effect, if the links were on a different C class IP address, they would carry more weight.

Since most of the websites hosted on same shared server and link them together actually do not harm in any way. But as told by OWG the weight of the link becomes less.
if the links were on a different C class IP address, they would carry more weight.
I would say the same

regards
John

Since most of the websites hosted on same shared server and link them together actually do not harm in any way. But as told by OWG the weight of the link becomes less.

I would say the same

regards
John

John that is a very VERY good point you have made (have some rep for it) :).

If you have 40 directories, all carrying similar content, all owned by the same owner, all cross linking, and all on the same server, then you might well be nailed as a bad neghbourhood. But in general, if the sites are related you would EXPECT them to be cross linked.

penalty and devaluing are different things. Not getting the benefit is different to being penalised.

There is lots of shared hosting out there, so I am not sure linking back from the same server will be frowned upon. Same ip is another story, that could cause problems if you have dozens of links coming from the same ip address.

MI
Back