The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Is squidoo.com really worth the effort to promote my site?

AnneHamptom

I used to wonder if squidoo.com is really worth the hype surronding it. :D

I've seen alot of social networks out there and I must say that Squidoo.com delivers at its best. It is powerful that it surely doesn't need any hype. I think Squidoo is great for building traffic and a presence with minimal effort.
It works better for me than blogging - for some reason I have struggled with my blogs and don't update them regularly / find them useful traffic generators etc nowadays - but I Squidoo everyday and still get really excited by watching my lens grow and seeing feedback comments from people I respect a lot...
You get a permanent link back to your main site from an Alexa ranked #1100
site that the search engines love, rank high, & spider daily.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just starting a new site, and I started my squidoo lens. Actually, I will make several lenses, and try to update them like I update my blogs.

Thanks for the link, I will have a read.

I just saw an article about using Squidoo for marketing. Think it may have been on Digg. I'm hearing about more and more who are using it successfully.

Wish I would have started one WAY back when I 1st heard about it.
I mean I know I still could, but 1st movers always get an advantage.

I started a Squidoo page yesterday for my 80sfilms blog. It's very simple to create. The money-making components are already in place, with the revenues to be shared between you and Squidoo.

From the video in Linda's post, Squidoo is used to drive traffic to your blog or website. I was wonderin where the traffic is coming from, because not many Squidoo pages come up in Google searches. It's now my understanding that Squidoo is an online community like MySpace and the Squidoo pages are just use to redirect from the community itself.

Marketing might be a little more challenging at first, because you'll have to get yourself noticed by many, just like other web communities.

Hey kbldshmn, thanks for the reply and sharing your perceptions.
That's about the way I thought it would be realistically.
I've heard people say they get high rankings but it still
takes time knowledge and effort to get things going.

Once platforms like MySpace and Squidoo reach critical
mass it becomes much harder to be seen. If you have some time
though it seems like a worthwhile investment of energy.

- for many keywords there are many lens rank well (one of them about affiliate marketing), work or did not work is question about quality and time, if you give this lens time and effort and learn how to promote this lens or more that will help you to get traffic and backlinks with high page rank. It is the same think that with blog. If you launch every morning ten blogs you will get no result but if you launch just one quality content blog you will get result to your blog and to your web site.

I have never used this Squidoo, but by the sounds of it, if you have to do alot of work then I would guess that if you done the same amount of work on your site then overall you would have done better by doing your site than Squidoo. It's hard enough promoting a website than helping to promote other sites that you don't own just so you can gain a little extra traffic from it.

I could be wrong as I have never tried it.

Hi,

I really only takes a couple of minutes to make a Lens - that's the thing. I don't see it really sending traffic to your other sites. In fact, you really need to give it a couple of links from somewhere. However, as has already been stated, I do see it getting indexed. I see lenses sort of like article submissions. The main payoff is not really in traffic most of the time, but indirectly through getting indexed and sending SE love to the other places you have indexed.

Ha Ha. I did make .26 from my Squidoo page. :)

Squidoo is a great weapon for those affiliates that learn how to use it.

The trick is to build a lens around an affiliate product with a high keyword density and your affiliate links attached.

What happens is that the Google and other search engines LOVE lenses and rank them high, very quickly.

If you got in the habit of throwing up a lens when new affiliate programs launch you could be sitting pretty very shortly in the search engines (usually spot 1,2,and 3) for each of those programs.

You haven't missed the boat on this one as high lens rank isn't the goal behind those who know it's true value. It's what it how easily it ranks in the search engines.

Another little tip is making one for your blog and making sure that a blog feed is active on your lens too as it will bring your blog listing up too. ;)

Using a Squidoo lens depends on your overall strategy.

I'd say to have a concrete traffic and lead gen in place.

All these pieces - MySpace, CraigsList, MyBlogLog, Friendster, Hi5, Squidoo are just a tiny piece of the puzzle.

You need to have your sales funnel in place and know how you're going to direct traffic to an opt-in, collect leads, then follow up aggressively with them to get a sales conversion.

The trick to squidoo is to incorporate RSS feeds so the content is constantly being refreshed regularly...a big plus in Google's eyes.

I've tried articles, squidoo, linked in, myspace... all these pale in comparison to have a high authority blog. it basically just overshadows whatever else you might have out there...

MI
Back