The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Is DP the strictest forum in the world?

M

midlandi

Is any one else a member of DP?
WOW are they strict.Not just for when and where you can post but the content of your posts.
I have 2 infractions in 1 week for doing nothing more than i do in 5 other forums!
Any other similar experiences?

I am a member of DP, and have been from day 1 when Shawn told me he was setting it up. I totally love Dp, in as much as there is a massive spread of talent there.

One of the things you have to appreciate about Dp is that there are people there who are making a LOT of money, but who post there because they WANT to give something back to the community that made them ritch.

I know for fact that there are people I know well who are making 6 figures a month $$ but who STILL post and advise and nurture young talent, it is what keeps it all real.

You have to appreciate that there are still people on the circuit who have helped each other make a lot of money, who have grown with each other, and sometimes seens tudent become teacher. BUT this does not matter because thre is respect.

Many people join forums without reading the T&C, I am amazingly relaxed on my moderation at my rugby forum, but increadibly strict in moderation at the top SEO forums where I moderate. It is ALL about playing by the rules :(

DP is Shawns baby, and the people who were there at the start are increadibly protective of it. It is probably THE busiest web marketing forum online today, YET it is still VERY relaxed by comparison as to what it lets slide.

What weis NOT allowed is shameless self promotion, and/or a total disregard for the forum guidelines.

I am sorry if you have received 2 infractions, but did you actually read the T&C when you joined?
Would you behave the same at buckingham palace, as you would at your local football club presentation evening? :)

I know OWG will praise DP, but I share Midlandi's sentiments, DP seem to be run by ex Gestapo officers who are absolutely convinced of their self importance, they are also sure they are 110% right at all time, it will never be my favourite forum nor will I recommend it to anyone. Its got lots of good resources so it may be a necessary evil sometimes.
This thing about reading their T and C does not cut ice with me. I wonder if anyone reads T and C of anything (apart from a serious contract like a loan or mortgage)
I got an infraction just for welcoming a new member. (welcoming a new member is a common thing in most civilized forum and some forum set that thread not to count towards you post), I was supposed to be "running up my post count" I wonder if you can exchange post counts at DP for M & S vouchers or something.
If you want to be bullied for posting or treated like a school children then DP is for you, its definitely not for me. Another incident was of two of my staff who share an IP address being said to be the same person..... they then told me they will use proxy to fool them..... I just told my staff to forget it, DP may be busy but there lots of other forums out there, anyway, good luck to those who continue to use it.
Webmaster world is strict, but people there threat members with more respect, they will tell you nicely that such and such is not allowed sometime via PM, this at least makes you fell better that ahh, what I'm doing is not allowed, but I was told nicely. Giving the way DP is run now, I will only visit it when I fell like being bullied which is not very often.

:( Maybe there are one or two 'over zealous' people there ;) But my advice to you is to read there but don't post if you feel like that :)

I think oldwelshguy is partly right. How many of us if we are really honest actually read the TC's.
Maybe a quick speed read for a few seconds!
I also think we maybe get used to the very relaxed attitude of other forums and apply the same rules regarless to any other forums we may join(guilty!).
However the infraction i got were for such silly mistakes against their rules, ie i commented on how nice a site was that someone was selling and got an infraction for "Running Up Post Count/Post Has No Value".
Still as was said they have rules and i broke them (is not reading instructions just a bloke thing still?!!)

Personally I would not give an infraction if I didn't think it warranted it. I mod on HighRankings, and if anyone joins and makes a spamming self promotional post i.e. my name is xxx I am from xxx and I have a special offer currently . let me submit to 100 directories for you . .... or buy mobile phones, or we are the number one SEO company in xxx.

I BAN THEM

No warning, no clean up, if your first post is spam then you are either banned, or mod previewed AND infracted 10%.

OTOH if it was naivety (which was the case in these instances), I would deal with it via PM. I would simply Pm you and say that this post <link> is considered padding. Padding is not encouraged for new members as you gain privilidges as your post count goes up.

Heavy handed is the term that comes to my mind.

Not reading instructions is not a bloke thing, its a human thing. I have BSc in Psychology, I remember this clearly from my University days when we were learning to design questionnaires and how to word it so that people say yes to what you are trying to get them to say yes to because they will not read it properly ..... only a fraction of the population read T and C of anything apart from serious commitments, posting at a forum is not a serious commitment.
This is not a rant about DP, just about people and T & C, which are usually fairly long and written in a language that is not accessible. it will be nice if every one reads T and C, especially spamers :)

This is exactly how I will moderate too, its fair. Separate the naive/innocent error from a persistent and deliberate attempt to promote yourself or run up post count to get you free M&S vouchers :) Also communicating with an offender via PM first before you take out the big stick.
I could be wrong but I think most DP member seem to be from 3rd world countries where they are used to "strong" rules application and sees people in authority as a demi-gods that most not be questioned. There was a very rude borderline racist response to a post from an Indian chap I saw the other day that will make the current big brother controversy seem insignificant.

Personally I would not give an infraction if I didn't think it warranted it. I mod on HighRankings, and if anyone joins and makes a spamming self promotional post i.e. my name is xxx I am from xxx and I have a special offer currently . let me submit to 100 directories for you . .... or buy mobile phones, or we are the number one SEO company in xxx.

I BAN THEM

No warning, no clean up, if your first post is spam then you are either banned, or mod previewed AND infracted 10%.

OTOH if it was naivety (which was the case in these instances), I would deal with it via PM. I would simply Pm you and say that this post <link> is considered padding. Padding is not encouraged for new members as you gain privilidges as your post count goes up.

Heavy handed is the term that comes to my mind.

Racism is something I simply will not tollerate ther is no place for it in this world. Shall I tell you something that always makes me laugh though?

Many Uk people speak to others who can not speak English very well, and equate their ability to speak English DIRECTLY to a perceived level of intelligence. This has always made me smile, because in my early years I suffered from this also. I have a strong Welsh accent, and a limited vocabluary. I would deal with people in England who thought I was 'A thick old Taffy' (Taffy is slang for Welsh but apparently is not racist, although Paki IS ?? Go figure eh). But I always had the last laugh because they had these preconceived ideas they would not concentrate on the negotiations and I would get exactly what I wanted and often more ;)

Hey Hey,
You know where I live OWG, we have this kind of thing going on all the time. Welsh thinking the English are 'English' (to say the least) and the 'English' to think Welsh are 'Welsh'.
I am pleased you are using your Welsh accent to you advantage against the English. I wished it had worked for Neil Kinnock though, I voted for him, but apparently one of the reasons he never became PM was because of his Welsh accent :( .

I am also the member of DP, yes I get business from there, learn also . as like as Midlandi I also got infraction for a post I did thinking it will be more help the members.

I saw a thread telling about a site , the site the thread starter reffering as he thinks it is very good for database related works. I know a similar site and just told this site is also helpful . Result is I got infraction

Racism is something I simply will not tollerate ther is no place for it in this world. Shall I tell you something that always makes me laugh though?

Many Uk people speak to others who can not speak English very well, and equate their ability to speak English DIRECTLY to a perceived level of intelligence. This has always made me smile, because in my early years I suffered from this also. I have a strong Welsh accent, and a limited vocabluary. I would deal with people in England who thought I was 'A thick old Taffy' (Taffy is slang for Welsh but apparently is not racist, although Paki IS ?? Go figure eh). But I always had the last laugh because they had these preconceived ideas they would not concentrate on the negotiations and I would get exactly what I wanted and often more ;)

Hey,very true.To take this one stage further i have a cousin with a profound stutter.Now he has the problem that he is percieved as not intelligent because of this,you can see peoples faces when he talks,they do not usually take him seriously.!
Now this guy is a proffesor with more letters after his name than the alphabet can accomadate! He travells all over the world and has numerous papers published.
And yes i agree "Taffy" "Paddy" "Carrot Cruncher" never seem to make the headlines.

MI
Back