Without a compelling promise that turns a browser of your content into a
reader of your content, the rest of your words may as well not even exist. So,
from a copywriting and content marketing standpoint, writing great headlines
is a critical skill.
Here are some interesting statistics.
On average, 8 out of 10 people will read your headline copy, but only 2 out of
10 will read the rest.
This is the secret to the power of your headline, and why it so highly
determines the effectiveness of the entire piece.
Remember, every element of compelling copy has just one purpose — to get
the next sentence read. And then the sentence after that, and so on, all the
way down to your call to action. So it’s fairly obvious that if people stop at the
headline, you’re already dead in the water.
The better your headline, the better your odds of beating the averages and
getting what you’ve written read by a larger percentage of people.

I know what you're saying is true, yet the headline is the hardest part for me. :( I don't know why but it always has been.

I try to learn it from the yahoo headlines.

The article that follows is always only one thing: rubbish - and I know this.

But their headlines manage it every time that I read more :p

I try to learn it from the yahoo headlines.

The article that follows is always only one thing: rubbish - and I know this.

But their headlines manage it every time that I read more :p

Me, too! They have the best headlines, I can't resist clicking even when it's a topic I'm not normally interested in. They never fail to make me curious enough to want to know more.

In copywriting, headlines play a vital role in every content, since this is the first thing that the readers see. If you want to get the people's attention you should think of a captivating headline. A good headline creates curiosity. It should be encouraging and makes like "oh! this is interesting!..but wait! I want to read more!". You can keep it short and simple, yet catchy.

Pictures are worth a thousands words. But words are worthless without the meaning. But my copywriting, is copy from my screen to profit in your wallet. For more info see.... http://aces-copywriting.com/

Yahoo and many others actually stole the idea from this guys Upworthy: Things that matter. Pass 'em on.
They’re calling "Upworthy today’s greatest viral growth hackers, saying their “the fastest growing media site of all time” Fast Company.

Upworthy, which MoveOn founder Eli Pariser started in March 2012, clocked 8.7 million monthly unique visitors within its first six months and now garners more than 10 million uniques a month

The Rip Off
Now, the entire internet is in a race to steal their headline concept and try to duplicate their success. This is a great idea for some (viralnova) and a horrible idea for others (you).

Here is an amazing post by Malan Darras that perfectly summarises everything on Headlines and even explain how to adapt the concept to
your campaigns with a few examples. Its so good i have been sucking the juices out of this post whole yesterday evening and i'll try
implementing this into my campaigns arrg so much learning to do ....

Here is the post here :

Great Affiliates Don?t Steal Upworthy Headlines (They Do This Instead)

Enjoy :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Luipogi. My score was 42.86% from a swipe headline I wrote from one of Allen Says bullets. I spend hours some times pouring over my headlines, sub heads and bullets. The way I do it, I use old magazines, newspaper and comic books. Nothing from 1980 to now. Everything from the 30's through the 70's.

The reason; people simply wrote better in those era's, and the copy is potent to this day. My personal collection is reaching about 75 magazines, 132 newspapers and 25 comic books (Marvel, DC, Archie etc.) I also love the space ads. I get some great bullets and sub heads from those.

Your headline is the first, and perhaps only, impression you make on a prospective reader.Without a compelling promise that turns a browser of your content into a reader of your content, the rest of your words may as well not even exist. So, from a copywriting and content marketing standpoint, writing great headlines is a critical skill. By writing the headlines we can tell the readers that what they are going to read in that thing. this is the first expression that we put on our readers and because of this the reader gets interest in your article or essay whatever thing you are writing.

banners
Back