The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

How to track PPCall offers?

alex.b

My apologies if this has already been answered in this subforum but I couldn't find much on it, just general references.

So far I only ran "normal" CPA/CPS type of campaigns (and the user always stays on his computer, keeps clicking links or filling out forms so it's easy to split-test stuff and track subids etc.). But how does this work on a call offer?

I want to launch a bingads ppc campaign with the call extension, so now someone on their mobile sees my ad and taps on the phone number. Since I only have 1 phone number (and not one for every keyword and ad in my bing campaign), how do I know which keyword drove the conversion? I have access to cpvlab if that is of any use in this case.

Would appreciate some advice from you pros!

My apologies if this has already been answered in this subforum but I couldn't find much on it, just general references.

So far I only ran "normal" CPA/CPS type of campaigns (and the user always stays on his computer, keeps clicking links or filling out forms so it's easy to split-test stuff and track subids etc.). But how does this work on a call offer?

I want to launch a bingads ppc campaign with the call extension, so now someone on their mobile sees my ad and taps on the phone number. Since I only have 1 phone number (and not one for every keyword and ad in my bing campaign), how do I know which keyword drove the conversion? I have access to cpvlab if that is of any use in this case.

Would appreciate some advice from you pros!

I'm not sure how the Bing Ads call extensions work, but you can assign ad group specific call extensions in Google for some deeper insights. But, if you use a campaign level call extension it should track the keyword, ad text, ad group, etc. that the conversion occurred.

One other problem is that on Google they only use the call forwarding number, used for tracking, some of the time. They'll do this until you get up to a certain level of volume.

If you're not using call extensions you can use RingPools, which allows you to track with links and pixels. But, it's limited by the amount of numbers you use and overflow calls are not tracked.

Hopefully this helps, there are definitely some challenges around tracking and there isn't currently a perfect way to track pay per call.

-Mike

Thanks for the reply, Mike. How does this work, every call that comes through my referral phone number then produces something like a unique subid which gets posted back to adwords where I could then see for which ad group/ad/keyword the conversion occurred?

Ringpools, I see you guys did a webinar on it, will take a look. Though for a phone call, where would the pixel fire?

Sorry for these nitty-gritty questions but I'm afraid to throw money at a paid traffic source without having a clue which keyword/ad/adgroup actually was responsible for the conversion...or more importantly, which were not.

A RingPool sets aside a group of numbers and pulls one number at a time to the page, assigning that number to an impression and then reserving it for a set time, then if a conversion happens during that session the parameters that are passed through are assigned to that conversion. Hopefully that make sense :)

But, yes, a subid, or any parameter you choose, will be posted back to report the ad group/ad/keyword/etc. for a conversion.

The pixel would fire when a call lasts the set duration. It's not firing on a landing page/conversion page, but on the length of a call.

No worries, fire away on the questions, we're here to help. Many publishers have the same concerns. RingPools are one way of tracking, but you can also assign specific numbers at the ad group level.

Ok I dug a bit deeper and got ringpools enabled for my account, watched the webinar but I'm a bit lost. For various reasons, I decided to go with CPV for now instead of Bingads. Now I want to use my own tracker (CPVlab) to get a better overview and stats on which keywords converted and which didn't (and from what I understood, ringpools is able to post the conversions back to my tracker). However, I'm confused by the setup:

1. The "parameters" that can be setup in ringpools, do they have to match the parameter my tracker or the traffic source pass on or are these just general "names" (for stuff like traffic reports etc.)?

2. This part is quite confusing: The traffic source has the parameter ...&keyword=%KEYWORD%, which should pass the target URL/keyword to CPVlab. However, in CPVlab, would I have to select "pass target to LP as "keyword"" or "pass target to offer as "keyword""? There is also an option "append subid to offer/ to LP" - since with PPCall the landing page is pretty much the offer page already, I'd select "LP" above all the time instead of offer?

3. The pool of numbers: In the webinar, Jon entered 2000 daily clicks which resulted in 8 numbers in the pool (he then adjusted it to 20.000 and got 83 numbers). Now with CPV, every pop-up equals a click, so there are lots of them daily. Assuming 2.000 pops per day and 8 numbers, how is that going to work out with the tracking numbers? I mean pop-up 1 comes up, ringpools displays number 1 of 8 from the pool. popup 2 gets number 2 of 8 from the pool. etc. etc. etc. and pop up #9 would get number 1 again from the pool? But what if the caller from the first pop-up is still on the line?

4. Does Ringpools also work when rotating landing pages? After all, the php code from the ringpools API from one Ringpartner campaign will be on more than 1 landing page at the same time when I rotate them within a CPV campaign. Does Ringpools realize that it is called for the same campaign at the same time from different landing pages, or will it display the same numbers and thus screw up the tracking?

Would appreciate your help!

Last edited:
Ok I dug a bit deeper and got ringpools enabled for my account, watched the webinar but I'm a bit lost. For various reasons, I decided to go with CPV for now instead of Bingads. Now I want to use my own tracker (CPVlab) to get a better overview and stats on which keywords converted and which didn't (and from what I understood, ringpools is able to post the conversions back to my tracker). However, I'm confused by the setup:

1. The "parameters" that can be setup in ringpools, do they have to match the parameter my tracker or the traffic source pass on or are these just general "names" (for stuff like traffic reports etc.)?

Yes, to pass the info captured by the RingPool link you'll need the identical parameter value.

2. This part is quite confusing: The traffic source has the parameter ...&keyword=%KEYWORD%, which should pass the target URL/keyword to CPVlab. However, in CPVlab, would I have to select "pass target to LP as "keyword"" or "pass target to offer as "keyword""? There is also an option "append subid to offer/ to LP" - since with PPCall the landing page is pretty much the offer page already, I'd select "LP" above all the time instead of offer?

I'm not certain about this, but I think you would select "LP".

3. The pool of numbers: In the webinar, Jon entered 2000 daily clicks which resulted in 8 numbers in the pool (he then adjusted it to 20.000 and got 83 numbers). Now with CPV, every pop-up equals a click, so there are lots of them daily. Assuming 2.000 pops per day and 8 numbers, how is that going to work out with the tracking numbers? I mean pop-up 1 comes up, ringpools displays number 1 of 8 from the pool. popup 2 gets number 2 of 8 from the pool. etc. etc. etc. and pop up #9 would get number 1 again from the pool? But what if the caller from the first pop-up is still on the line?

You'll need a lot of numbers for PPV. I'd suggest talking to your network rep before starting, to ensure that it will work.

4. Does Ringpools also work when rotating landing pages? After all, the php code from the ringpools API from one Ringpartner campaign will be on more than 1 landing page at the same time when I rotate them within a CPV campaign. Does Ringpools realize that it is called for the same campaign at the same time from different landing pages, or will it display the same numbers and thus screw up the tracking?

If you're going to rotate LP's, I think you'll need to create multiple RingPools and assign them to each different landing page.

Would appreciate your help!

I hope this helps! We're happy to help you set up the RingPools on your landing pages.

It seems like tracking won't work properly in CPVlab without the user clicking on a tracking link anywhere so I have dropped that solution for now. LeadImpact has a conversion pixel (javascript) and I saw in Ringpartner/Invoca there is an option to create a webhook (which seems to only allow URLs though, not javascript). - Could I just paste the URL of LI's conversion pixel URL here and it would track correctly (using the GET method)?

Same question goes for Facebook, because they don't have a simple URL but a big bunch of code - could I get ringpools to report back to FB the same way as above?

If not, the only other way is probably to run reports in Invoca every day, look at which keywords converted (from ringpools), then go back to LI/FB and check the campaigns etc.? That would be a long-winded, error-prone and time-consuming process...

You should be able to create a link with RingPools that tracks just like a standard affiliate link that can track all the parameters you want to track.

The problem is that there is a limit on how many numbers you can have and use, so if you're sending a ton of traffic through the links you'll run out of numbers to assign to each click or impression. So, PPV usually doesn't work great with RingPools.

If you email us at distribution@ringpartner.com we could help find the best solution for you.

MI
Back